Freakynami's [Actual] build...

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Re: Freakynami's [Actual] build...

Postby freakynami » 03 Dec 2018, 18:24

I think of it as slightly cheating, I could certainly make everything by hand, but I'm no Chris from Clickspring, I won't be going back to first principles and casting my own files to shape the parts... I figure it lets me get onto other bits of the build.

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Postby Midlana1 » 03 Dec 2018, 21:20

I do realize though that it's not free in terms of time. For some parts it probably takes longer going the CAD route than just cutting and drilling one.

freakynami

Postby freakynami » 03 Dec 2018, 22:25

Midlana1 wrote:I do realize though that it's not free in terms of time. For some parts it probably takes longer going the CAD route than just cutting and drilling one.

Absolutely yes, there are often many iterations because you're not wasting anything but time, so I'd like to hope that I'll end up cutting less off for real than virtually as change happens.
At the moment, I've got time here and there to fiddle with the CAD, where it's more of a commitment to head over to the shed (a few miles away), so I can chip away relatively easily (if I can avoid too much YouTube :roll: ). Once I have my new workshop attached to the front of my new house in a year or two, that will hopefully switch around!

freakynami

Postby freakynami » 07 Dec 2018, 00:49

FAB145_1.jpg

FAB145_2.jpg

This has taken a lot more effort than it should.

I really wanted a custom rad. There is a shop in my home town that ships very nice gear all over the world. They even do a slanted core at 30° so the airflow goes straight through a leaned rad. Their welding is top notch. Their design and engineering is top notch. But for my dream rad it was going to be about AU$1600, US$1156.

I almost got the budget to fudge, but I'd originally estimated based on an aftermarket setup on eBay so only had a budget of AU$500 and I just didn't want to cut back anywhere else that much.

Sooo, these guys rose to the top of the pile. The rad fits perfectly in the CAD, still need to trial it in the chassis but should be fine. I'll need to modify it in the expected ways, but it'll do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

freakynami

Postby freakynami » 07 Dec 2018, 01:34

FAB146_1.jpg

Here it is in the CAD...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisS
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Postby ChrisS » 07 Dec 2018, 02:05

I’m sure you’ve already considered this, but I’ll mention it just on then off-chance. Don’t forget to allow space for the rack in its spaced-up-by-about-1” position. I did :(

freakynami

Postby freakynami » 08 Dec 2018, 01:47

ChrisS wrote:I’m sure you’ve already considered this, but I’ll mention it just on then off-chance. Don’t forget to allow space for the rack in its spaced-up-by-about-1” position. I did :(

Thanks! I have now. I read your build the other day covering this and promptly forgot to check myself. I just raised the rack in my CAD to a 1" lift and there was a slight interference so I've fixed that now.

Return to “Builder's diaries”