Alfa powered build.

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
ChrisS
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Alfa powered build.

Postby ChrisS » 07 Oct 2018, 09:37

You don’t get owt for nowt do you! The 680 is only 16Ah which doesn’t compare favourably with the 100Ah of the donor Alfa battery.

They have great cranking capacity but zero tolerance for forgetfulness :)

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 11 Oct 2018, 05:11

OK, decided to go for an Odyssey PC1100. 45Ah should do it, and it isn't huge.

Made the first proper aluminium panel yesterday - the one over the passengers feet. This will be battery tray and whatever space is left unused will become the 'Frunk', to adopt Tesla terminology.

Now need to figure out a hand tools-only method of putting some stiffening ribs into the bottom of the panel.

battery tray and frunk.jpeg

Bolted a front and rear wheel on as well, front arch fits nicely but is tight, so I may have to cut holes in the sides for the brackets, rather than them sneaking up underneath. Rear arches confirmed as too narrow, sadly, although I may be on to a supply of wider ones, assuming I am too lazy to try and widen these a bit.

Almost wide enough.jpeg

...and I had a request elsewhere for a shot of progress so far. This is sort of it.....

almost wideshot 2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 11 Oct 2018, 07:04

ChrisS wrote:...Now need to figure out a hand tools-only method of putting some stiffening ribs into the bottom of the panel.

I suggest something like two pieces of either hardwood or thick aluminum, with a slot cut in each. Clamp the two together with the sheet to be worked trapped between, with the intended stiffening rib in the slot. Next, use a hardwood or aluminum blunt-end "chisel" to carefully tap a depression in the aluminum along the length of the slot.

It'll be a lot easier if you have access to a mill for making the slot. Better yet, with a mill, a male and female form can be made along with guide pins. Then instead of the stiffening ribs being hammered into the panel, they're pressed in.

Or, just buy a bead roller from Harbor Freight and sell it after the project is done...

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 11 Oct 2018, 10:09

Midlana1 wrote:
ChrisS wrote:...Now need to figure out a hand tools-only method of putting some stiffening ribs into the bottom of the panel.

I suggest something like two pieces of either hardwood or thick aluminum, with a slot cut in each. Clamp the two together with the sheet to be worked trapped between, with the intended stiffening rib in the slot. Next, use a hardwood or aluminum blunt-end "chisel" to carefully tap a depression in the aluminum along the length of the slot.

It'll be a lot easier if you have access to a mill for making the slot. Better yet, with a mill, a male and female form can be made along with guide pins. Then instead of the stiffening ribs being hammered into the panel, they're pressed in.

Or, just buy a bead roller from Harbor Freight and sell it after the project is done...

All excellent ideas! Do they have Harbor Freight in the UK?
Bill J

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 11 Oct 2018, 12:48

Had a bash at the ribs today. Acceptable would be my assessment. Routed a 1/2” semi circular trench in some old worktop, made a dapping punch from some 1/2” rod and set to. I didn’t clamp the workpiece so got some distortion as you’d expect, but it was fairly easily put right.

A bead roller would be nice, but I don’t need to do much more of this (if any), don’t have the space for one, nor the inclination to splash all that cash for a one off use...so it’ll do as it is.

There are so many tools I’d love to own, but really don’t have the space for, sadly.

No Harbour Freight here, we have to get our cheap Chineseium crap from other sources ;)

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby freakynami » 11 Oct 2018, 13:52

I've been using evilBay for chinesium tools. Too much sadly, a few tools have been thrown and replaced by "proper" versions.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 12 Oct 2018, 03:55

Me too, but we also have assorted purveyors of similar, usually identical, items painted different colours. Machine Mart, SGS, Halfords etc etc.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 18 Oct 2018, 07:32

Tinkering continues. Nothing worthy of a picture, but I've now put a battery on it and switched it on. No smoke escaped, so that was good. Spent some time messing with some dash warning lights that weren't behaving....before I realised I had the wrong version of instrument cluster fitted to the car.....Doh.

Put the right one in and all was well again. The wiper motor was playing up too, worked/didn't work, and made a nasty noise when it did work. That was two things. First one was easy enough, some idiot had dropped it on the floor while sorting out the linkage and one of the permanent magnets had come adrift and was rubbing on the armature. Glued that back in place OK. The other issue was a common one with these, one of the 'fingers' of the output shaft position switch had a ring crack on the control PCB attached to it, so again, an easy fix once found. Wipers all good now, including the rain sensor.

Replaced the original "Sport Throttle Response" switch with something more in keeping with the minimalist interior and tested that. All good, and a bonus as well. The switch I used only had a single built in light, which I used to show the function is active, but as it's an LED, there seems to be enough leakage current present in the system to make it glow somewhat even with the function off, so that'll serve as nighttime illumination for it. Nice.

I filled the engine & gearbox with oil and cranked it to get the oil light to go out. All good, next step is to complete the fuel system, put some fuel in it and fire it up. I don't expect any issues, but it's best to be sure now, rather than later.

So, next report will probably have a link to a YouTube vid of something happening....

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 18 Oct 2018, 08:11

Here's a real test of character. Set the camera up to record, and post the results regardless what happens. That can be amazingly hard to do, depending what happens!

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 18 Oct 2018, 08:49

I'm game. I expect it'll start OK, but it'll clatter like mad as the lifters have been dry for a long time and typically take some time getting oil back in them, and it'll have a few exhaust leaks where things aren't properly tight too.

In short, it'll sound like a bag of spanners for a bit. :D

Return to “Builder's diaries”