Alfa powered build.

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Alfa power build.

Postby Midlana1 » 03 Dec 2017, 15:22

Which tube specifically?

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 04 Dec 2017, 02:03

Either 001 or 100, whichever is easier to measure from, would be great.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 05 Dec 2017, 10:13

10" from the forward face of tube 100. The exact amount will depend on the tilt of the nose cone.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 05 Dec 2017, 13:36

Thanks Kurt. Which tube did you use for reference?

Spent a bit of time fussing with the rad mounting today. Mostly done but I need some thick washers to arrive before I can finish the job, which is irritating. Pretty happy with how it has turned out though - fits under the nose a treat, and that's with the nose probably further back than it'll probably finish up.

I did take this picture though....

Does my bum look big in this.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 05 Dec 2017, 13:46

ChrisS wrote:Thanks Kurt. Which tube did you use for reference?...

Edited, tube 100.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 05 Dec 2017, 13:59

Midlana1 wrote:
ChrisS wrote:Thanks Kurt. Which tube did you use for reference?...

Edited, tube 100.

8-)

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 29 Dec 2017, 02:41

Like the rest of us here it seems, not much happening in Midlanaland with me. I had reached a bit of a sticking point with the bent tubes for the back end, needed some more steel stock and it was starting to get a bit chilly, then for good measure I tweaked my back so I've been out of the shed for a bit.

The metal order arrived just before Christmas, so that's sorted, a mate is helping out with the bent square tubes for the rear lower section and I should be able to bend round tube myself now I have some of the right size to fit my bender. My back feels like it's almost recovered too, so once it warms up a bit there I should be able to get back to it.

I did spend some time pondering wheels & tyres and have settled on the following.

Front 205/40/17 on a 7" rim.

Rear 235/45/17 on an 8" rim.

Just need to pick rims now. I do rather like the ones Kurt used, or perhaps the same as we have on the Westfield, the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 I thought I might go with a gunmetal colour and do the chassis the same.

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 29 Dec 2017, 20:13

Glad to see you back, Chris. I was wondering where you'd dropped off to and just put it off to being busy over the holidays. Sorry to hear about your back, good it's getting better.

If you can find 8" front and 9" rear wheels, I'd do it for those tire sizes. It will improve the handling of the car noticeably by better supporting the tire sidewall.
Bill J

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 31 Dec 2017, 13:39

Thanks Bill. I should be back at it soon. The old back seems to be OK now - I had to fix a fault with the lighting in the loft (roof space) today and it seemed to handle that fine.

Interesting comments on the rim widths. I used a table of recommendations I found via Google that seemed to have been used in quite a few places to come up with the 7 & 8 figures, and that table didn't suggest that 8 & 9 would be suitable at all for the tyres I have in mind.....but, prompted by your suggestion, I tried the Toyo website and sure enough, they concur with those numbers being at the upper limit for the given tyres. Upper limit being a good thing of course.

The 7 & 8 option would be fine, but I think 8 & 9 will be better, so that's now the target. The rims I want are available in those sizes, although they are a bit heavier, and of course, more expensive. :(

I over-tyred a car many moons ago and you really could feel it - always felt like I had the pressures way too low.

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 31 Dec 2017, 19:39

My previous track car was a Miata, and one of the track-centric parts suppliers (949Racing) makes wheels specifically for track Miatas in everything from 7" to 11" widths. They did a back to back, same car, same track, same tires (225/45-15 in this case, a popular track Miata size) on 8" wide wheels and 9" wide wheels (same offset on both as well). They found the 9" wheels were good for about a second a lap. I'll probably be using my set of 9" wheels (w/225's) on the front and I'll likely pair them with 11's in the rear since that's a more appropriate size for the 275's that Kurt is using on the rear.
Bill J

Return to “Builder's diaries”