Alfa power build.

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
ChrisS
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Alfa power build.

Postby ChrisS » 14 Nov 2017, 13:32

By coincidence, I've just reached the same place as Eric has in his build. Rear suspension subframes etc all done now, lower rear wishbones still need finishing but I was keen to do the basics today and get the rear upright in place for a look-see. I want to get the dimensions for the drive shafts sorted out as soon as I can, as I suspect there will be a long lead time on them. Not that it'll be an issue as such.

This feels like a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway - not like it'll be my first or likely last stupid question either.

So, rear upright, I'm assuming(!) that it is intended that the lower pivot axis is horizontal. Just throwing the assembly in place and mine isn't at the moment. I ran out of time to mess with it but expect I can bring it square with some adjustments of the upper & lower wishbones.

Couple of pictures:

Alway interesting how lens angle etc can make something look very different. Lower wishbone is almost perfectly parallel with the lower chassis rail at the moment - certainly doesn't look like it in these shots.

Left rear 1.jpeg

Left rear 2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 14 Nov 2017, 14:24

Short answer: it doesn't really matter much. Without looking, I seem to recall the upright being tilted back a little. Don't worry about it.

ShadowCat38

Postby ShadowCat38 » 14 Nov 2017, 18:25

We may be at the same point of the build right now, but you reached this point in what... 5 months? I've been at this for 2 years, granted a few months of that was the engine overhaul. Still, seeing you catch up and likely blow past me is part of the reason I'm back on here and getting back to it. My break-time has lasted long enough. Thanks for the kick-in-the-pants! I'm going! I'm going! :D

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 15 Nov 2017, 02:11

Midlana1 wrote:Short answer: it doesn't really matter much. Without looking, I seem to recall the upright being tilted back a little. Don't worry about it.

Thanks Kurt - I'll concentrate on getting the camber, toe & absolute position correct.

Apropos the rear uprights, I'm not totally happy with my decision to use polyurethane bushes at the top now - they constrain the movement totally to the one axis which I can foresee being a potential issue, at least during setup if not use, so I'm pondering on either going back to the book method, or possibly replacing the outer clevis with a rod end so the forward leg can rotate a wee bit as needed. I'll see how I feel about it after messing with the setup first - might not be an issue.

I noticed that the OEM rubber bush has a somewhat ovoid shape to it which I assume was to allow a small amount of movement along that plane?? This aftermarket bushes wouldn't allow any, being pretty hard (feels like Shore 90) and cylindrical.
Last edited by ChrisS on 15 Nov 2017, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 15 Nov 2017, 02:17

ShadowCat38 wrote:We may be at the same point of the build right now, but you reached this point in what... 5 months? I've been at this for 2 years, granted a few months of that was the engine overhaul. Still, seeing you catch up and likely blow past me is part of the reason I'm back on here and getting back to it. My break-time has lasted long enough. Thanks for the kick-in-the-pants! I'm going! I'm going! :D

I've only really been doing the actual construction phase for 5 months, but I was gathering parts and doing prep work long before that. I am aware how lucky I am to be retired and able to spend as long as I want on it though. I honestly don't think I could have done this if I'd still been working full time though. Having already done 2 previous kit builds where funds & time forced long timescales, I certainly wouldn't embark on one like this, so all you guys who are still working for a living while doing this have my greatest respect. Or should that be sympathies ;)

Happy to be any kind of positive influence :D Keep up the good work Eric.

Return to “Builder's diaries”