Central Kentucky Build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Re: Central Kentucky Build

Postby freakynami » 05 Jul 2017, 03:22

Wow, your progress is inspiring! Looking really nice.

I managed to sell the pair of front seats from my donor - 5,000 km on the clock, mint condition - $1 :lol: I hope you have more luck!

Other than the gubbins underneath, those seats do look like a nice fit, without the huge shoulder bolsters, they look like they'll fit nicely to the door bars and each other in the middle, worth persevering for a little bit I'd say. Some clubmans have the seat in two pieces, the base bolted to the floor, and the back bolted (or velcro'd I've seen once) to the firewall. There's nothing to say you have to keep them attached to each other if you can live with a fixed seating position, which may well be the bug-bear to this idea. If you've ever seen the framework of an OEM seat without the foam and cover, it's very simple, you could possibly remove the cover and foam, cut off the hinge bits, and just weld brackets each side to make it into a fixed-back seat, then put all the covers back on. I did this to add bolstering to a seat once.

Leggman
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Postby Leggman » 05 Jul 2017, 18:16

I like the idea of a fixed seat for the passenger but I would like the drivers seat to move fore/aft because I Know my wife is going to want to drive this. When she goes looking for shoes she looks in the racing catalogs for driving shoes. I am a lucky man

Leggman

Postby Leggman » 07 Jul 2017, 18:57

I haven't been able to work on the car for days and it's killing me. I have been getting signed up to go to college for the next two years. Thank you NAFTA.
I am wanting to use the manual steering rack I have left over from a mazda rx7 but it is very wide. I think I will start looking for the miata rack as suggested

Leggman

Postby Leggman » 08 Jul 2017, 22:48

I measured the rx7 rack today and it is 52-1/2 inch from pin to pin.
I know I can shorten or lengthen the tie rods as needed but I am concerned about the body of the rack itself. It looks like it will need to be shortened.
If I get a miata rack then the hard part is already done for me.

Leggman

Postby Leggman » 12 Jul 2017, 19:51

I got a pair of seats from a 2000 chrysler minivan and hopefully I can get them cleaned up and installed this coming weekend. Today was the hottest day so far this year and I was out in my buddies wrecking yard pulling weeds and unbolting seats. So far I think these seats will work great but I will be able to tell more this weekend once I finally get a chance to get back on the car. No pics yet. Maybe tomorrow

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 12 Jul 2017, 21:37

That's the joke in our parts, that you know I'm working in the yard if it's really hot.

Leggman

Postby Leggman » 14 Jul 2017, 07:04

well this sucks. after about a hour of cleaning and head scratching I have concluded that the minivan seats wont work either. too tall and too wide.
I guess the next step is to get the coolant transfer tubes in then just start building my own seats from scratch. This is not a fat mans car.

Leggman

Postby Leggman » 14 Jul 2017, 11:37

"GOT SEATS"
I saw an ad on Craigslist listing seats and made a phone call and a hour later had the seats I needed for the project. They are a pair of high back dune buggy seats with covers. It's a little tight ion my big butt but at least I won't slide around in the corners.
The covers are like brand new.
There is a little fiberglass repair needed but nothing major, just some ripped out bolt holes.
With a little luck I should have them mounted tomorrow.
IMG_20170714_1236442_rewind.jpg
IMG_20170714_1237034_rewind.jpg
IMG_20170714_1339006_rewind.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 14 Jul 2017, 12:50

Don't hard-mount them yet - tacked in is recommended. There's still a lot going on around them and you may want to move them slightly later on.

Leggman

Postby Leggman » 14 Jul 2017, 14:50

Good idea, Thanks

Return to “Builder's diaries”