Aces- Build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
aces
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Aces- Build

Post by aces » 30 Oct 2021, 06:04

Hi!
Has come half way with the welding, and everything looks good. So far, there is no welding distortion.
Am very happy with my welding machine, Migatronic.
367.jpg
//Mikael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Post by freakynami » 30 Oct 2021, 18:34

I love that MIG is so fast and one handed vs TIG, I believe it puts less overall heat into the tubes further away from the weld which results in less distortion.

aces

Post by aces » 31 Oct 2021, 05:19

freakynami wrote:
30 Oct 2021, 18:34
I love that MIG is so fast and one handed vs TIG, I believe it puts less overall heat into the tubes further away from the weld which results in less distortion.
Then it was ready for today, nice.
370.JPG
There were many strange and difficult positions, but it turned out well.
Have measured everything now and has got a diff of 0.4mm (0.01575in),i have to be happy with that.

//Mikael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aces

Post by aces » 08 Nov 2021, 04:58

Front trailing link bracket!
380.JPG
381.JPG
379.JPG
A day off from work, perfect opportunity to install the front trailing link bracket.

One question how much distance does the rear shock absorber require between the chassi and the engine?
Had intended to use 1.9 "spring.
Sorry about the skewed pictures
//Mikael

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 08 Nov 2021, 10:56

"Just enough that it doesn't rub" is the short answer. They don't have much room in my build, but enough that with some messing about, the springs can be replaced without having to disconnect the bottom shock connection.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 08 Nov 2021, 13:16

I used 1.9” springs front & rear, but later discovered that the choice of rates is more limited unless you special order. I used Protech dampers and the body dimeter is the same for 1.9 and 2 1/4”, they just use different collets/seats.

I mention it, as I’m still not sure if I need to go up on spring rate at the back (heavy engine) and I reached the top of stock (cheap) rates in 1.9” springs.

I have room for 2 1/4” on mine.
Midlana No.2

aces

Post by aces » 20 Nov 2021, 23:55

Hi !
Have made the rear engine mount, have not decided if I should screw it on or weld it on.
396.JPG
Today's project is to start with the front bracket today and see how it goes, has a plan for what it should look like.
401.JPG
Used original rubber bracket, for both rear and front. So I get the right angle on the engine about 12gr back angle.
Will also build bracket for lower torqmount, gearbox, little visible in the last picture, on the right side.
Starting to get cold in the workshop, about 10 celsius (50 Fahrenheit) ;)
//Mikael

aces

Post by aces » 21 Nov 2021, 04:06

okay this is how it turned out, only point welded.
407.JPG
But we will fix that soon. Hole in the bottom to get to the lower bolt to the bracket.
Welded in a stainless steel pipe, from the bottom, to get access to the 14 mm bolt.
406.JPG
//Mikael

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 21 Nov 2021, 06:23

Will there be additional bracing on the torque mounts? As their name implies, they're all that keep your engine from spinning in its mounts. Figure if you have 200 ft-lbs of torque, and each mount is, oh, one foot away from the crank center line, then each will see up to 100 lbs of force in acceleration, and possibly the same in the opposite direction, too. Said another way, the mounts and surrounding chassis need to be strong enough to that you can jump up and down on those points and not have them deflect.

aces

Post by aces » 21 Nov 2021, 09:18

Midlana1 wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 06:23
Will there be additional bracing on the torque mounts? As their name implies, they're all that keep your engine from spinning in its mounts. Figure if you have 200 ft-lbs of torque, and each mount is, oh, one foot away from the crank center line, then each will see up to 100 lbs of force in acceleration, and possibly the same in the opposite direction, too. Said another way, the mounts and surrounding chassis need to be strong enough to that you can jump up and down on those points and not have them deflect.
Hi Kurt!
Yes bracing will be fitted on both the right and left side of the center tube. As well as corner plates, and just like you say the mounts need to be strong. And around the engine base frame.
409.JPG
I'am a bit everywhere in the engine compartment, measures and manufactures pieces for the various mounts.
The picture shows the right engine mount, great when creating something. And now it is not far to the engine is mounted in the chassi nice feeling.
//Mikael