Aces- Build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
aces
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Aces- Build

Post by aces » 15 Aug 2021, 02:34

Has now assembled all the parts to the steering wheel shaft, also support bearing mounted.
294.JPG
296.JPG
Everything feels good when you spin the steering wheel.
Used three knots, has built it as similar to the original safety assembly as possible, with collapse tube and with oblique second knot. In the event of a collision, the shaft pushes to the side and not straight back.
At least that's the idea after the studies I did.
Also started with swirl tank mounts, missing some bolts, before I can make the lower mount. Pictures will come when it's ready.
Also test mounted pedal box, a little unsure how to attach this.

//Mikael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 15 Aug 2021, 06:12

Looks good. I so wish I’d been able to get the column above that cross tube like you have….
Midlana No.2

aces

Post by aces » 21 Aug 2021, 09:27

Hi Chris!
It would have been far too crowded to have a steering axle under tube 204 with my long legs. Therefore, it was mounted on the top side, the downside is that it is no longer adjustable. But so be it.
299.JPG
298.JPG
Got mounted the swirl pot today, maybe a little overkill with the size of the upper bracket, but it is very stably, laid rubber around the pipe clamp and on the underside of the bottom bracket.
297.JPG
Also screwed hose nipples to bleeder connection.

//Mikael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 21 Aug 2021, 09:54

I put a drain tap in the bottom of the swirl pot on mine. I only thought of it after the first build was completed and I was stripping it down for paint. It serves as an ideal drain point for the whole cooling system pretty much.
Midlana No.2

aces

Post by aces » 21 Aug 2021, 10:43

Hi Chris!
The drain tap in the bottom of the swirl pot is mounted. Used 3/8 tap.

//Mikael

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 21 Aug 2021, 12:49

Cool :)
Midlana No.2

aces

Post by aces » 29 Aug 2021, 07:17

Hi !
After fitting the swirl tank, it was time to try out the pedal box placement.
The pedal box is from OBP and it is floor mounted with ratio 6:1.
306.JPG
300.JPG
And after a good while of testing, I found a nice placement and got some brackets made.

Also started with the rear suspension brackets, got turned out a guide pin so I get the reinforcement washer in the center.
304.JPG
310.JPG
311.JPG
308.JPG
Unfortunately, my metal band saw blade broke, and of course these were out of stock at the supplier, so then you have to do something else hmm.!

//Mikael

aces

Post by aces » 15 Sep 2021, 10:57

Hi !
Have continued with the suspension bracket, no quick job but very fun.
318.JPG
315.JPG
317.JPG
321.JPG
319.JPG
Had come further but the job has taken up a lot of my time the last two weeks.
Should be nice with a little weekend soon and maybe i get a little done in the workshop. ;)

//Mikael

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 15 Sep 2021, 12:01

Yeah it does become a routine, which is good in a way because the fabrication becomes pretty efficient.

Are you drilling through completely from one side, or separately? As noted in the book, drill presses are notorious for allowing the drill bit to drift a bit, in addition to needing to make an accurate and sizable dent to start the drill. I gave up drilling from one side because the resulting hole was almost never square to the tube.

aces

Post by aces » 16 Sep 2021, 11:15

Midlana1 wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 12:01
Yeah it does become a routine, which is good in a way because the fabrication becomes pretty efficient.

Are you drilling through completely from one side, or separately? As noted in the book, drill presses are notorious for allowing the drill bit to drift a bit, in addition to needing to make an accurate and sizable dent to start the drill. I gave up drilling from one side because the resulting hole was almost never square to the tube.
Hi Kurt !
I drill from one side at a time.
Used a dub drill from a lathe, to make the first hole.
323.JPG
Tried first with a regular drill but was not satisfied as the column drilling machine is not 100% centered.
So after the dub drill, I run with a 6.5mm drill, then I use my gig to center my washer which I then weld.
Since the washer has an inner diameter of 10mm, I take a 10mm drill and drill the next hole.
Then I take a hole saw of 32mm.
And then all that is left is to finish drilling and ream the hole.
Got made 16 brackets, and the first one I had to redo, where I used regular pilot drill, and not a double drill.

//Mikael