Alfa powered build.

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
ChrisS
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Alfa powered build.

Post by ChrisS » 07 Apr 2021, 09:28

The QR arrived today so I managed to get it all reassembled. I also adjusted the pedals a wee bit as I mentioned. Much better now for comfort/space. I’m having another fiddle with instrument visibility now the column/wheel is in it’s revised location - I’ve found a bit of space that wasn’t there before which has helped quite a bit.

The QR seems pretty decent quality with zero play in it (so far!).
Midlana No.2 (we think!)

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 07 Apr 2021, 09:38

If you guys are discussing what’s best for left/right mounting of the e-brake, you should also mention whether your car is left or right drive, as that makes a big difference in meaning!

1,8t

Post by 1,8t » 07 Apr 2021, 10:06

Midlana1 wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 09:38
If you guys are discussing what’s best for left/right mounting of the e-brake, you should also mention whether your car is left or right drive, as that makes a big difference in meaning!
That didnt hit me at first but its a important difference where youre steeringwheel is located.
As im living in Sweden my steeringwheel is located to the left and therfore with the e-brake placed to the left it would not be placed in the tunnel.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 07 Apr 2021, 13:27

I was talking tunnel mount or...elsewhere really, and I assumed anyone building would have the wit to put the lever in the same side of the car they sit when driving.... :)

Probably the biggest hurdle to clear with any location is going to be the space to comfortably operate it. Looking at mine today, having it to the side would be really awkward with the seats I have, as the seat sides are so high, and width-wise, they pretty much fill the available space. Where I have it now (tunnel top) is probably about as good as I could hope for, although there is one alternative that could work I suppose, under the dash, mounted horizontally and transversely, so you pull the lever back towards you to operate it.

Basically, it’s a very compact cockpit so needs to be carefully optimised. I mounted the lever to a lug I welded to the central spine, so it’s about as low as it could reasonably be anyway. Any higher and operating it would probably be anatomically impossible.

It might work if it was mounted on the side diagonal tube actually - that could be worth a try as that would get it away from a high-sided seat, clear of the drivers knee and elbow and within reach. Main challenge would be knuckle clearance to the side panel inner face.

One thing for sure, I ain’t moving the handbrake on mine!!!

ETA, just checked Andre’s build, bottom of page 47 shows it well. I now have a better appreciation of the benefits of that location!! Should have known he’s have sorted it in CAD first :)
Midlana No.2 (we think!)

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 11 Apr 2021, 12:51

Just waiting on the weather again for my next run out. Rear damping tweaked, driver ergonomics sorted (I think...), passenger cushion acquired :)

I’m wimping out of making new front cycle wing brackets at the moment. I’ll see what happens on the next run, then decide. I tightened the loose one again then tried to make it move by hand...and it wasn't having any of it, so maybe that’s all it was, just loose. I’ll comfort myself with that thought for now anyway,

More anon.
Midlana No.2 (we think!)