Aces- Build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
aces
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Aces- Build

Post by aces » 31 Jul 2020, 00:44

Got the chance to buy a set of rear brakes, from an MX-5 NB with low miles.
Became a light renovation, as they were only dirty no rust. So with a little color, they became like new.

Brakes from MX-5 NA have the same caliper as NB, only caliper holders are different size, and the brake disc size increases from 231mm to 251mm on rear brakes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 31 Jul 2020, 08:50

I briefly went down that road but ended up changing my mind, as the sport discs were much heavier than their slightly larger diameter suggests. It really comes down to how the car will be used. For the street, they're a great choice, but for the track, there are much lighter (and of course, more expensive) options. Seem the Brake chapter in the book.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 31 Jul 2020, 11:28

I went with the 235 front/251 rear setup on mine too, although I used NA carriers and some adapters to get the extra diameter on the rear disc.

The weight distribution on a car like Midlana calls for a much more rearward brake balance than a typical front engine car as I discovered with my Stratos replica.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 31 Jul 2020, 17:10

I recall calculating that up to moderate braking, the rear brakes are actually doing more work than the fronts, due to the rear weight bias. When I had the wheels off recently, they were fairly evenly worn front to back.

aces

Post by aces » 01 Aug 2020, 01:15

As there is a law on handbrake in Sweden, and know that people have had a hard time getting aftermarket brake calipers approved.
So I chose the standard rear caliper,much cheaper too, to start with.
Will probably mount aftermarket caliper on the front axle, maybe these as they fit 15 inch rims.
http://www.maruhamotors.co.jp/miata/parts/4potmc.html

Then to the fuel tank, a special one will probably be made when I have solved the parking brake cable placement.
Has finally decided which engine it will be.
And the choice was a Volvo B5204T4 it is a long engine but it's fits, without widening the chassis that's fine.
Got it cheap $ 150. But had no opportunity to test it, so we'll see if it works in the future, hmm.
The engine is at work, must disassemble it and check it.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 01 Aug 2020, 02:00

Be careful not to go too nuts at the front. I did that with my Stratos replica (a very similar arrangement to Midlana in many ways). I started with Lancia Beta brakes front & rear but before it ever turned a wheel, upgraded the fronts to Wilwood 4 pot with larger vented discs but left the rears alone. The braking was OK to pass the compliance testing but in use, it was way too weak on rear brakes compared to front. I later fitted significantly bigger rear calipers and discs and it transformed it.

For road use, I think stock MX5 brakes with the larger rear discs is a good starting point (hence choosing them!). Master cylinder choice and balance bar settings will give a degree of control over this too of course.

aces

Post by aces » 01 Aug 2020, 02:20

ChrisS wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 02:00
Be careful not to go too nuts at the front. I did that with my Stratos replica (a very similar arrangement to Midlana in many ways). I started with Lancia Beta brakes front & rear but before it ever turned a wheel, upgraded the fronts to Wilwood 4 pot with larger vented discs but left the rears alone. The braking was OK to pass the compliance testing but in use, it was way too weak on rear brakes compared to front. I later fitted significantly bigger rear calipers and discs and it transformed it.

For road use, I think stock MX5 brakes with the larger rear discs is a good starting point (hence choosing them!). Master cylinder choice and balance bar settings will give a degree of control over this too of course.
Probably uses standard brake disc on front axles, but aftermarket brake caliper, not larger than 254 to 279mm discs.
So at the beginning we take it easy with the brake size. ;)
We'll see what comes.

aces

Post by aces » 01 Aug 2020, 03:00

Now we have all the parts to start building, the plan is to start in the autumn. So longing to start building! ;)

aces

Post by aces » 18 Oct 2020, 01:12

Hello all friends!
It's been a while since I made a post, but have been working on my project, type engine disassembly mm.
The engine is disassembled and sent to the machine shop, will be better than new.
So now waiting for the engine to be ready, so I can assemble it and start my construction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 18 Oct 2020, 13:19

Exciting times! Keep the pictures coming.