Alfa powered build.

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
ChrisS
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Alfa powered build.

Post by ChrisS » 20 Apr 2020, 02:26

Couple of pictures of progress.
floor.jpeg

floored.jpeg
It's in 3 pieces. Small removable section from the very front cross tube back to the front bulkhead. The area above this will probably not need to be accessed very often, but, if it does, the panel comes off easily. I've put a drain in the bottom of the coolant swirl pot so may put a small removable panel in this front piece to access that. I can imagine wanting to drain coolant rorm time to time and it would be nice to be able to do that without having to remove the entire panel.

Middle section from front to rear bulkheads will be permanently attached.

Rear section from rear bulkhead to the very back. Again a removable panel. I had considered making it 4 pieces with the panel under the tank bay being separate and removable too, but figured it really wasn't worth either another row of fixings or doing another overlapping join as I did at the very back where I have the floor panel sitting over the curved rear panel. Same deal with the engine and gearbox oil drain plugs as up front with the coolant drain - I will make some removable panels for servicing.

I've put 1/2" round beads in a few places to act as water/liquid collection and drain channels, just drilled holes at the ends. Considering putting a couple more in for stiffness where feet will go.

Found a few more welds too - up to 8 now :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 19 May 2020, 13:27

Spent a day on what felt like a spirit journey - that is right for spending hours in a tent sweating isn't it?? I was so concerned about temperatures I even got 'fast' activator for the paint. What was I thinking!! The tent was more like a low bake oven today, with the sun beating down on it and 600W of lighting.

Got primer on the chassis at last. I had big ideas of getting chassis and suspension parts primered and painted today. Hah!

Today was apparently 'floating seed day' where I am. At some points it looked like it was snowing, there were so many airborne plant seeds wafting about. Of course, some got inside the tent despite my best efforts, so they naturally made their way onto the wet paint. I'll knock the bits off tomorrow before doing the topcoat and hope I don't get too many more sneaking in there. Bit frustrating, but what else can you expect painting in a tent.

New plan is to get topcoat on the chassis tomorrow then see how I feel about doing some more once that is actually done, rather than coming up with grand plans of all the things I'd like to get done.....

chassis in primer.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bgkast

Post by bgkast » 19 May 2020, 19:49

It looks like that rotisserie really makes painting access easy!

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 19 May 2020, 21:04

A painted chassis is a huge milestone!

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 19 May 2020, 23:41

bgkast wrote:
19 May 2020, 19:49
It looks like that rotisserie really makes painting access easy!
Many years ago I hand-painted a kit car chassis with it sitting on trestles. It was a complete PITA even though it was a very simple ladder frame with some panels. Realistically I can’t see painting something like a Midlana chassis without a rotisserie.

Midlana1 wrote:
19 May 2020, 21:04
A painted chassis is a huge milestone!
It certainly feels like one Kurt. It’ll be good to get some colour on it too.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 20 May 2020, 07:34

And now it's black.
as good as it'll get.jpeg
also as good as it'll get.jpeg
It's far from perfect, but it's the best I can do given my abject lack of skill and experience and frankly pretty awful working conditions.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 23 May 2020, 07:09

After a bit of a ponder, I've decided I need to have another go at the finish on some of the chassis, so that's something to look forward to....

I got a couple of really nice coats of epoxy primer onto all the suspension parts, but then the weather turned and it's been pretty windy the last couple of days, so I had to decant everything back out of the tent and into the shed, as well as partially collapse the tent to protect it a bit. Bit of a pain really, and as an extra bonus, due to the more than 24 hour period between primer and paint this delay has created, I'll need to scuff all the bits before topcoat.

Hoping I can get back to it tomorrow or maybe Monday.

This was the tent festooned with bits prior to putting the primer on.
tent-O-bits.jpeg

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 23 May 2020, 08:45

I've done enough painting that I didn't want to go there. An attached garage and no desire to set up a temporary paint booth made going with powder coat an easy choice, assuming that the budget is there. The only downside is that for some odd reason, the electrostatic-applied powder doesn't like pointy edges, so the coating is thinnest at corners, and that's where the rust will start. Still, the convenience is pretty nice, assuming you have a business nearby.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 24 May 2020, 01:09

I never seem to be able to find competent people when it comes to this sort of thing, I’ve had bad experiences with powder coat so I wasn’t keen on that option. I had my last project blasted and painted and it came out OK, but things are tricky right now, so I decided to try the DIY path. I’m happy the epoxy primer is sound (it’s formulated for anti-corrosion and contains zinc phosphates), so long term corrosion protection should be good, which is my main concern. Don’t have the luxury of your benign climate, sadly. If the cosmetic finish is too disappointing, I can always consider getting it sorted out at a later date once it’s finished and on the road.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 27 May 2020, 05:27

Got a mostly acceptable coat of black on the suspension & other steel parts now....but not without a minor glitch of course. Between coats while waiting for it to flash off I had a sit down to cool off and clean the visor of the spray mask. Well, I screwed up and messed up the surface so ended up doing the second coat with almost no useful vision. Mostly got away with it, one or two runs almost exclusively on parts that won't be visible. I'll see if I can flat them out and polish on one of those parts. If it works, I'll clean up the one or two small blemishes on a couple of visible parts.

Not going to risk trying to improve the finish on the chassis until I can see what I'm doing again. New visor on order, as well as some PETG sheet so I can try and DIY one too.

Kicking myself for that one.