Alfa powered build.

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
ChrisS
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Alfa powered build.

Post by ChrisS » 21 Mar 2020, 14:46

Balance at about hip sounds ideal. The gearbox and other parts at the rear are heavy, but quite close in to the current balance point so yes, I expect it to shift forward once the whole lot are back in.

I plan on weighing the parts at some point. Was going to do it today but concentrated on the main task instead.

I've always been very much a pessimist/realist. My glass isn't half empty, some bugger knocked it over and broke it. Hope for the best, but expect the worst - avoids disappointment.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 24 Mar 2020, 10:55

With all due credit to @Stevo, I've been converting the chassis trolley parts into a rotisserie.

Main parts:
rotisserie parts.jpeg
Still need to add the bracing but that's it.

The pivots:
rotisserie slider.jpeg
Last job is to make the T bars that bolt to the chassis. Should do that tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 26 Mar 2020, 14:32

Nearly done with this bit. Decided I want to make the height adjustment screw driven so now waiting for some parts to arrive.

Balance on rotation is, remarkably, perfect. No science, pure luck. I used the front and rear upper wishbone mounts, with a small vertical offset down at the front to clear structure. It holds position just on the minimal friction of the rotating parts.
tilty.jpeg
Speaking of rotation, I've put in a simple lock system to hold it at cardinal points. A plate with a circular array of holes at 45 degree intervals fixed to the upright and a tab on the rotating part. A bolt locks the two together.

spit roast.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 26 Mar 2020, 15:28

Very nicely done. I instead wrestled the frame around on the table. I recall my thinking at the time being that it would take longer to build a rotisserie than just rolling it over. But yeah, a lot more pushing stuff around ensues.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 27 Mar 2020, 00:40

If it was just for final welding and doing the floor panels I’d not have gone to the bother, but I’m doing the prep and paint myself so having it set up like this is pretty much essential.

Back during principle construction I did roll it about on the table some and found it wasn’t easy! Kept hitting the light fittings :)

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 27 Mar 2020, 05:46

Ah, for prep and paint, then a very good idea. It's almost impossible to miss sides of tubes without one.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 30 Mar 2020, 14:02

Furtling in the shed continues. Spent some time stripping down the rear wishbones, counting turns on rod-ends, marking & bagging them up etc etc. Welded some large stainless nuts I had bored out to fit over the tubes to form adjusters. These go on the lower rear toe link, upper rear caster link and the front pushrod. Won't bother on the front upper caster link as that's easy to get at and lightly loaded (so will be easy to adjust)

The M12 all-thread arrived today (thanks to GWR Fasteners and APC Overnight for amazing service under the current circumstances).

I've 'constructed' the screw jack arrangement. Probably couldn't have made it any uglier if I'd tried, but it works fine. If I'd had the wit to think about this before assembly of the basic thing I'd have done it differently and maybe it would have been a bit less agricultural, but given it'll almost certainly get converted to scrap when I'm done....

Anyhoo, here's the front one cunningly camouflaged against the clutter in the shed. Rear one is the same. I did at least make sure to buy 8.8 grade all-thread, not the usual soft stuff. Each one has a proof load of 5 metric tons so should be up to the task. It's a heavy chassis...but not that heavy.

The top chunk is just offcuts of 40mm square welded into an L shape then simply dropped into the hole in the 50mm square tube upright. No need to affix it, gravity will hold it in place. A long stainless tube nut welded to the side of the 'slider', a nut welded to the top of the all-thread and a couple of greased up washers between the nut and the top chunk.
uppy downy thing.jpeg

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 02 Apr 2020, 14:02

Having done a couple of sessions welding....I am so glad I made the rotisserie!! It's a joy to work with. I can recall when I was rolling the much more sparse and lighter chassis around on the table and how much of a PITA it was.

Looks like the Argon will last to the end of the job, which is just as well under present circumstances. Doing as much MIG as I sensibly can, but the bulk is TIG.
spit roast chassis.jpeg
Since taking this shot I added a removable tube to join the two halves of the rotisserie together - makes it way more stable as the rose joint pivots allow it to move about quite a lot. Can be disconcerting at times!

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 02 Apr 2020, 14:46

Great to see progress, and know that you're giving hope to others that life goes on and that they, too, should be planning and doing things now that will be completed in the future.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 05 Apr 2020, 08:46

Sadly, progress just stopped - my back pinged again Friday so that's me done for a few days. Was so close to finishing the welding too.