Bryan Kast's Build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
bgkast
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Bryan Kast's Build

Post by bgkast » 09 Oct 2019, 09:45

Thanks. For whatever reason I had ordered four 5/8 rod ends and assumed that two of the them went up front. Oh well, I guess a bit of extra beef in that area can't hurt. :oops:

bgkast

Post by bgkast » 10 Oct 2019, 22:03

Good progress today!

I tacked in the other outer suspension bracket, and made up the inner brackets.
IMG_20191010_163909 sm.jpg
I also got a long piece of all-thread to help align the inner brackets for welding. I still need to make a filler piece for the top as the inner brackets are about 1/2" inboard of the diagonal tube.

Also after a lot of googling and comparing photos I learned that the S2 Elise tank that I am using fits a 2000-2005 Toyota Celica fuel pump module. There just so happened to be a 2001 in the local junkyard, so I snagged the pump. It is the exact depth of the Elise tank.
IMG_20191010_163745sm.jpg
Oddly a few of the studs don't align properly with the retainer ring. I think the toyota part has slightly eccentric holes so that it can only mount one way.
IMG_20191010_163603sm.jpg
A bit of dremel action should solve that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bgkast

Post by bgkast » 19 Oct 2019, 11:37

I spent the week making one of the lower rear A arms. Welded it up yesterday, and last night woke up in the middle of the night realizing that I set the forward edge of the spherical bearing at the outer "point" when I drew up the jig, rather than the center. No idea why I did that, but obviously now the geometry of the arm is incorrect. Time to order a new spherical bearing and start over. :cry:

bgkast

Post by bgkast » 19 Oct 2019, 20:22

So close, but so far.
IMG_20191019_145709 (1)sm.jpg
IMG_20191019_145831 (1)sm.jpg
A new spherical bearing is on order and re-made the jig. Dont drink and fabricate! ;)

I did get the fuel pump to fit the tank
IMG_20191012_122335sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 20 Oct 2019, 01:14

I got lucky and spotted an Elise pump on ebay for sensible money and grabbed that.....then realised it was just a Toyota item while trying to find a suitable connector. IIRC it was a Lexus connector I ended up with.

bgkast

Post by bgkast » 21 Oct 2019, 10:21

The ring that holds the pump down seems to be the only unique lotus part. I'm going to put in a larger pump, as I don't think the Toyota pump can flow enough to support the SRT4 engine, and I don't want to depend on a junkyard pump anyway. I'll post this info over to the Elise tank thread as well.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 21 Oct 2019, 10:42

I don't want anyone packing a sad*

Regarding the bearing cup, while you're waiting for the new one, why not try cutting off the bad one and repositioning it. It's of zero consequence to try.

* One of many New Zealand slang terms I'm learning while becoming acquainted with how my future brother-in-law talks.

bgkast

Post by bgkast » 22 Oct 2019, 21:34

The new spherical bearings should be here tomorrow. The part number has changed and the dimensions listed are a few thousands off of the other one I have, so I figured I would start over with a matching pair. I made up two "kits" of tubes for the remaining A arms. They are all perfectly notched and ready to be welded.

bgkast

Post by bgkast » 24 Oct 2019, 13:07

New spherical bearings are here, so I can start welding my rear A arm "kits" together
IMG_20191020_122255.jpg
I also ordered up some shocks so that I can fabricate the mount points and make this thing a roller! I ordered Viking Warrior C211 double adjustable shocks for $200 each. They are 19.32" Extended, 12.57" Collapsed and a ride height of 15-16 inches.

I also got started on the engine mounts sot that the engine can be re-mounted once the suspension is on. I had ordered some liquid urethane to stiffen the stock mounts, but do to my hiatus it had expired. New stuff is on the way, and I got started on removing the torn rubber from the torque mount. A hack saw removed most of it, but the recommended technique of burning the remaining rubber out did not work out well.
IMG_20191020_174453.jpg
I need to pick up a flap wheel to clean out all of the residue. The other mounts rubber is in good shape, so I think I will just pour the urethane around it after a good cleaning following this guide: https://www.suspension.com/blog/do-it-y ... t-inserts/

bgkast

Post by bgkast » 30 Oct 2019, 14:58

Suspension arms are DONE!
rear suspension.jpg
wheels on.jpg
wheel gap.jpg
I still need to make up the shock mounts once the shocks arrive in a few days. After that I'm going to pick up some cheap tires and lower her onto the ground. :D

Reaming out the holes on the Miata uprights was one of those projects that was way harder than it should have been. They were too tall for my bench-top drill press, so I brought them to work to use the pedestal mount drill press. The belt on it was too stretched out and the bit kept hooking and smoking the belt. Once the hole was drilled to one size under I went to ream them, but the reamer shaft was too large to fit the chuck in any of my drills. I ended up hand reaming them:
hand ream.jpg
This wasn't ideal, as it was hard to make sure the reamer was parallel with the hole. Further complicating this issue was that the flutes on the reamer were too short to reach both sides of the hole at the same time. I ended up getting it to work OK, but would do it differently next time!