Alfa powered build.

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Re: Alfa powered build.

Post by freakynami » 09 Sep 2019, 04:12

You are certainly moving at a steady and blinding pace! Well done :) My build has stalled for a bit, again, so it's great to check in here and see your work. I'm not up to bodywork yet so don't have anything constructive to add I'm afraid, so I'll just sit in the corner and cheer you on - go you!

ChrisS
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Post by ChrisS » 09 Sep 2019, 13:07

One benefit of retirement I guess. Plenty of time to do as I please. Generally, I don't tend to spend long periods working on it, just a few hours most days. Did about 4 hours today...and managed to finish one small panel I'd started a little while back and make another - wow.... In my defence, they were both very fiddly and had to be really accurate or they wouldn't fit. I was working on the air duct panels and narrowly avoided a Dirk Gently sofa in the stairwell scenario. At times, the ability to transport parts into place via other dimensions would be useful.

Still, each job done is one job less.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 09 Sep 2019, 13:25

Ooo, another new and unfamiliar UK term that I had to look up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Gently

How I haven't heard of him I don't know, since I'm already very much aware of the importance of one's towel (a reference to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, if you don't know).

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 10 Sep 2019, 00:35

Many years since I read the books, but the sofa stuck in my mind, much in the way it was stuck in the stairwell in the story.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 13 Sep 2019, 14:02

Having run out of suitable offcuts of sheet to complete the duct panels at the front, I decided to move to the back for now so did some more CAD. Some hours later....

Not a lot to show for the effort & angst...but one panel on the way. It seems to fit tolerably well so far, although the curve at the top isn't perfect so needs some 'help' to sit right. It's not too far off though, so I might live with it as-is rather than risk stuffing it up by trying to improve it.  The roughly drawn circles are marks to show some panel damage from delivery - managed to make sure these will be under the wheel arch/behind the wheel so won't be a problem. I've done my best to tidy them anyway.
1st step.jpeg

Bottom edge is oversize at the moment, concentrating on getting it placed properly at this stage - I reckon the line of Clecos will do it......

I'll work my way up & around the curved tubes to the top with some more fixings, then I can accurately mark where I need to put a 90 degree bend in to form the edge.
another view left rear side panel.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 13 Sep 2019, 16:11

Are you planning to have that panel be removable? I only ask because if you are, that's an awful lot of Rivnuts to undo.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 14 Sep 2019, 00:36

Wasn’t planning on it Kurt. I was going to make the rear panel a bolt-on, plus some sections of the floor and those duct panels up front of course, but the bulk of them will be permanently fixed. Well, unless I take a drill to the rivets!

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 15 Sep 2019, 09:45

Two more shed sessions with very little to show for it apparently....
finished panel.jpeg
Although it looks pretty much the same as at close of play Friday, a lot of time has gone into it, not least because some numpty put some holes in the wrong place so had to move them along a bit. Evidenced by the stripped off protective film and hint of filler. I welded up the incorrectly placed holes, ground back the excess and put a light skim of filler over the top. Came out well, considering, and I haven't even distorted the lovingly crafted curve either, which was nice.

Having sorted that SNAFU, I then very carefully marked the location for a 90 degree bend along the top edge to form a lip that sits tight to the longitudinal tube that forms the boundary for the engine bay opening. Must have got that bit right as it came out bang-on.

Today was trimming the bottom edge accurately then marking and drilling the row of fixing holes along the bottom, which competes this panel for now. I then moved to finessing the template for the next panel, working to this panel as reference. Completed that and made a start on cutting it out in metal. Not quite finished that, but I predict another couple of sessions will be needed to complete it.

I may need to add an extra bit of structure where the panels meet around the curve. Happy enough with them elsewhere, but unless I can get the next panel to bend exactly the same as this one, it'll need some help.  I was wondering if I could find some sort of suitable aluminium extrusion that would do that - kind of a miniature carpet threshold strip IYSWIM. I briefly thought about putting a joggle on the overlap but I really don't think I could get it accurate enough around a curve. The simple alternative is a backing piece with two rows of rivets, but I don't fancy that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rennkafer

Post by rennkafer » 15 Sep 2019, 12:23

Chris you could do a combination of your joggle/rivet strip. Form the strip so it fits the curve on the existing panel, make the new panel fit the strip, then (gently) tack weld the strip in place on one or the other panel. Makes transferring the curve a bit simpler, supports both panels, and no rivet line.
Bill J

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 15 Sep 2019, 12:43

That’s a good idea, I could probably make that work, by which I mean, it’s a very good idea, I think I just have sufficient skill to get away with it!