Solid Works

Goals, budgeting, drivetrain selection, options, driver protection, creating a workshop, etc
Fuzzydicerule
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Solid Works

Post by Fuzzydicerule » 06 Jan 2017, 18:19

Throwing in a rec for the software im using. Fusion 360 is incredibly powerful and very near solidworks, but it also includes analysis, and even CAM software as part of the base package. and even better, if you are a student or an educator in any subject you can get a full copy for free.
Midlana build: Firmly stuck in planning purgatory

steveo

Post by steveo » 25 Jan 2017, 07:18

I've been using FreeCAD, which (surprise!) is Free, and more to the point, fairly straightforward to learn, pretty intuitive, and seems to be able to do everything I've needed so far. Results so far:

You can download here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/free-cad/

rennkafer

Post by rennkafer » 25 Jan 2017, 11:30

I've also got FreeCAD. Haven't played with it enough to recommend or not, but what I have seen it should be capable of doing anything we'd need.

There are a bunch of videos on Youtube of people building various objects using it,
Bill J

allenparkpete

Post by allenparkpete » 02 Dec 2020, 17:48

As a newbie to this site, I happened to see the word 'SolidWorks' posted so read the thread.

SW can certainly do the job when it comes to designing or laying out your Midlana but as mentioned. Cost.

However, there is also a learning curve and yearly maintenance fees.

Back in the day I illegally borrowed SW from Pirate Bay and taught myself. I even recall saying to Kurt B. in one email what to do as he was starting the Midlana design and he felt it was unethical. His indignance must have travelled East as it hit me and I upped and bought an SW license in 2011. I still have it but....that was 6500K just to get going.

I use SW professionally as well as at home (legally). But Dassault and SW are behind the times. Their licensing fees are outdated and you pay for the opportunity to use the yearly upgrade for not much improvement in performance. That does not include the initiation fee of 3-10K depending on which software level you choose when you start out.

As mentioned Autodesk Fusion 360 is available for a much more reasonable fee as well as Onshape (the creator of Onshape was the original creator of SW). Onshape has since sold out to PTC but their software is cloud based which means you can pert near use it on any computer anywhere on the planet at anytime. I have even used it on a Chromebook.

Not so with SW. You are tied to one computer unless you make a request to go to another computer or laptop or what have you if your current logon source is going to change permanently. If you wanted to sell your license....well, good luck. You need to be incorporated and sell it to another corporation. Unilaterally selling the license to someone else on an individual basis is not permitted.

As for doing real hard nuts design. I kid you not I thought of going back to the drawing board..............really, a drawing board. Cheaper and more creative on one hand but it depends on the person and his or her imagination and ability to fabricate. Recall that many of the greatest F1 cars were designed in 2D and to this day Adrian Newey of Red Bull still uses his dwg board. He transfers his ideas to his CAD wizards but recall its the brain not the software that gets the ideas going.

Would I purchase SolidWorks strictly for a project like this.

No. I would not.

Even a 2D software would be more worth your while if you wanted work with CAD.

My 2 cents.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 02 Dec 2020, 18:09

allenparkpete wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 17:48
... Back in the day I illegally borrowed SW from Pirate Bay and taught myself. I even recall saying to Kurt B. in one email what to do as he was starting the Midlana design and he felt it was unethical.
I doubt that I used so lofty a word as "unethical", but yeah, it did bug me enough that I never used it. Even as buggy as Google Sketchup was, I'm still glad that I didn't use SW. I mean, I know what it can do, but every time Sketchup messed up, I just considered SW's $12,000 (its price at the time). It was so dang expensive that they kind of pissed me off, so maybe it was a combination of stubbornness and doing what was right... and who knows what the percentage of the two factors were!

allenparkpete

Post by allenparkpete » 29 May 2021, 08:45

Happened to go on your Middy blog just now and read you are training in Alibre CAD. I had forgotten all about them. They have been around for quite some time and have gone through ownership changes but like you what caught my eye is the cost.

I am (or was) a SolidWorks license holder since 2012. Back then I paid $6700 bucks and they got me every year for a $1500 (maintenance) license fee. As I relocated to the US for a while I paid the US license fee rate as I transferred my re-seller to a Detroit re-seller. Apparently my latest re-seller is in Maryland (never been there).

However I also invested in Onshape around 2017 as they were the original founders of SolidWorks before SW was sold to Dassault. In the past few years all these software companies have soured on me as you have to pay out a fee yearly Cannot sell your license in the case of SW. Or they get bought out and suddenly there is a drastic fee increase. Plus I use SW at work professionally and it spends more time telling me what I cannot do (zero geometry thickness anyone) than solving the line equations. I never had that issue with a pencil and piece of paper. I'm a master at SW workarounds.

So when I saw Alibre it peaked my interest. I never paid the maintenance fee on my own license after 2019. Wasn't worth it. I will take a look at this again (I did see the fees) and will download the trial.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 29 May 2021, 08:56

Yes, the big requirement for me was that whatever CAD I chose must not have any subscription fees.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 30 May 2021, 06:14

I've been using Fusion 360 for the few trivial bits of CAD I've done. Mostly for 3D printing parts. I'm on the free hobby user 'subscription' which did get a bit of a downgrade in features a while back. Some of the more useful import/export functions got dropped and there is now a 10 active design limit. You can have more, but only 10 editable at any one time. Not a limitation for me!
Midlana No.2

mainlandboy

Post by mainlandboy » 30 May 2021, 20:18

I've been using Alibre for about 10 years, and I think that it is the best option for scratch-built car projects like the Midlana. It's great value for the price of the software, and I also did not want to use any software that required an annual fee. Here are some screen shots of my mid-engine car I am planning on building eventually, which I modeled in Alibre:

https://midixsportscar.wordpress.com/cad-renderings/

allenparkpete

Post by allenparkpete » 31 May 2021, 09:29

Looks good mainlandboy