Midlana Rotisserie

Goals, budgeting, drivetrain selection, options, driver protection, creating a workshop, etc
steveo
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Midlana Rotisserie

Post by steveo » 26 Nov 2019, 21:06

After I posted pics of my rotisserie a few folks asked me for plans and drawings, so here goes.

The "body" of the rotisserie is very vanilla. I used 2" square tube with 0.188" walls. The "base" is 60" and the "forward arm" is 30". The "riser" is 60". I added 24" bracing on all three arms. At the end of each arm is a 4" x 3" piece of flat stock to mount the wheels on. I used 6" heavy duty rubber wheels from Harbor Freight. (https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-rubb ... 61844.html. These worked really well and the rotisserie once completed was very easy to maneuver. I used three swiveling on one "lift" and one swiveling and two fixed on the other. This makes it easier to move around as it's more predictable.

When I was looking into rotisseries I noted that there were three things that rotisseries had that made them complex and expensive:

1. The lifting was built into the rotisserie

2. They were highly adjustable to fit anything

3. They were built to handle much larger cars therefore much bigger and heavier

I realized that I (and probably you!) didn't need these as:

a) You've probably already got the ability to lift the car onto the rotisserie (I use an engine hoist)

b) I don't need it to be adjustable as it will lift one car - mine!

c) Seeing as I can lift the chassis on my own (just!) it doesn't need to be super-heavy duty

This allowed me to simplify the "head" design significantly.

The "head" is two 9" lengths of square tube, joined together by four plates. This creates a square hole that the head rides up and down the "riser" on. From one of these tubes extends a 12" piece of 2" * 0.188" tube. This acts as the pivot.

The "head" is held in place on the "riser" by a 1/2" bolt through holes spaced every 6" in the riser.

Lastly the head attaches to the car through a custom T-bar that bolts to two rod-ends screwed into the chassis. This has the advantage that the car does not have to be level but can be held high at one end and low at the other, should you feel the need.

Plans for the head can be found here: http://odart.net/Midlana_Info/Rotisseri ... 0Plans.pdf

Let me know your thoughts and any questions.

steveo

Re: Midlana Rotisserie

Post by steveo » 26 Nov 2019, 21:06

If you're using a CAD package a .iges file can be found here: http://odart.net/Midlana_Info/Rotisseri ... 0Plans.pdf

If you're using FreeCAD the FCS file can be found here: odart.net/Midlana_Info/Rotisserie/Final ... tion.FCStd

And if you're not using FreeCAD and need a ****FREE**** CAD package, check it out here: https://www.freecadweb.org/

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 28 Nov 2019, 09:26

Thanks for this Steve.

Only question that springs to mind - how is it for balance adjustment? Unless I'm missing something, there isn't any way to move that, as it stands. Perhaps more pertinent, have you found it needs any adjustment, or is it just not heavy enough to worry about??

steveo

Post by steveo » 28 Nov 2019, 10:48

Not sure I understand the question Chris. What do you mean by balance adjustment?

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 28 Nov 2019, 12:52

Setting the axis of the pivot to be at the vertical (not longitudinal as I said befor) CofG.....so when you rotate the chassis it stays where you put it, rather than wanting to rotate back to heavy bit at the bottom.

With a relatively lightweight chassis it’s probably not that big of a deal, the pin in the pivot will hold it, but if it’s a long way out, it could potentially be dangerous.

Ideally, need to be able to offset the pivot axis relative to the attachment to the chassis. Probably!
Last edited by ChrisS on 29 Nov 2019, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.

steveo

Post by steveo » 28 Nov 2019, 13:25

Ah I see what you mean. I tried to get my mounts as close to the CoG as possible while still being practical. As I haven’t had a chance to get the car on there yet I honestly don’t know.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 29 Nov 2019, 09:41

I’ve a feeling it probably doesn’t really need the ability to offset the pivot, given we’ll be picking up close to CG rather than 2 feet or more below it as one probably would on a more conventional bodyshell.

I've got some round tube left over that will probably do for the vertical elements, and I’d already pretty much decided to cannibalise the chassis trolley to make the rotisserie so hopefully mine won’t take too much time & material. It would be nice to keep the trolley, but I just don’t have the room. Same for the build table, that went long ago.

steveo

Post by steveo » 29 Nov 2019, 12:58

Yeah my new garage is arriving in the nick of time. Keeping the build table will be a real boon for other projects!