Welding set up question - extension cord

allenparkpete
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Welding set up question - extension cord

Post by allenparkpete » 08 Feb 2021, 04:03

I have a Hobart 210 mig welder. 120/230V.

I cannot run on 120V at my new place as any garage outlet connection is 10 amps. However I can run at the higher voltage downstairs via the dryer plug.

So my question.

The dryer is a 30amp set up. I can purchase a 30 amp adapter however the female receptacle on the adapter is 50 amps. As I have to run an extension cord up the stairs into the garage, do I purchase a 30 amp or 50 amp cord? Seems like an easy question to answer but for obvious reasons (safety) and cost I want to get this right.

Anyone know?

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: Welding set up question - extension cord

Post by Midlana1 » 08 Feb 2021, 05:30

With the usual disclaimer that I'm not a licensed electrician:

To answer your question directly, an extension cord is fine, but:
1. Electricity is like water in a garden hose; depending how far you have to go, you may need a larger hose.
2. Likewise, the more flow (current) you need, the larger the hose diameter needs to be.
3. So for an extension cable, you'll need one based on the maximum expected running current - I'd go for a 50 amp cord, and it sounds like you'll have to cut off one end and wire in a proper plug to match the welder

Somewhat related, since you're presumably welding in the garage, isn't the fuse box nearby? It would be much better to just tap off that same breaker there and run much shorter wires to a welder-dedicated outlet - and not running both the welder and dryer at the same time.

allenparkpete

Post by allenparkpete » 08 Feb 2021, 06:25

Thanks for the reply Kurt.

Fuse box is downstairs....near the dryer.

The welder does have a 220V adapter plug set up with it.

I watched a few youtube videos but as always you take them with a grain of salt.

As I rent the place I will not attempt to play with the breaker box. My alternative is my cousin use to be a line splicer and for a case of beer maybe he will do it.

allenparkpete

Post by allenparkpete » 13 Feb 2021, 08:45

did end up buying a 30 amp adapter and a 50 ft cord rated at 50 amps (8 gauge). a good set up for 240V.

for 120V, I have 3 20 amp outlets in the kitchen area, the attached chart link below which is a good guide rates 10 awg for 25-50 foot cords.

https://welditu.com/gear/safety/what-si ... sion-cord/