Race Technology

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Race Technology

Post by Midlana1 » 25 Jan 2018, 11:13

https://www.race-technology.com/gb/raci ... y-products

I had a Dash 2 in Kimini and though it was a bear to get interfaced to my Hondata ECU, eventually got it working and it was reliable.

I bought a Dash 2 Pro for Midlana, assuming the interface would be the same. Alas, RT uses unique interface modules between their dash and a given ECU. For some reason they were never able to get me one that worked completely - some variables on the screen displayed properly, while others remained blank.

There was that, then there was how they released new firmware every few weeks. Normally this would be a good thing - showing that they're on top of things. However, every time a release came out which fixed various bugs, new bugs would appear which weren't there before. It was like playing "Whack A Mole" with the firmware updates.

I got so frustrated with it that replaced it with the AIM MXS unit (discussed elsewhere in this thread).

ChrisS

Re: Race Technology

Post by ChrisS » 26 Jan 2018, 00:55

I’ve become increasingly cynical and disillusioned about devices with firmware. I think it’s just an excuse to release products you haven’t finished or properly tested, then claim you are providing a great service with free updates. Before everything had a processor in it, you designed, built, tested and when it worked, you put it out there.

rennkafer

Post by rennkafer » 26 Jan 2018, 08:40

ChrisS wrote:I’ve become increasingly cynical and disillusioned about devices with firmware. I think it’s just an excuse to release products you haven’t finished or properly tested, then claim you are providing a great service with free updates. Before everything had a processor in it, you designed, built, tested and when it worked, you put it out there.
Certainly the case some of the time, but firmware also makes it easier to add new features without redesigning the whole hardware package at times as well.
Bill J

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 26 Jan 2018, 12:49

No doubt that’s the promise, but the reality falls far short, far too often. As Kurt said, Whack-a-mole with bugs is the usual result.