Introductions

Introductions, posting rules, FAQ - What is a "Midlana"? Can I build one? How long does it take? How much does it cost?
Pez
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Introductions

Post by Pez » 14 Jan 2010, 04:12

I thought I might introduce myself
“Pez” from Melbourne Australia. :D
39 years young and work shift work that allows me lots of days off during the week with nobody around.
I came across this while researching information on Traditional Locost.
The One thing that kept bugging me about the 7 style was it just does not seem to have the WOW factor, There all pretty much the same.
Also as far as handling and ease of sourcing complete engines the mid engine design just opens the door to so many other engines that previously can’t be used in a front engine car cheaply.
So my background is a petrol head for as long as I can remember.
Became a Qualified Auto electrician and also restored a few cars for my Bosses along the way.
2X Mustangs 66 convertible and a 68 coupe
1x Austin Martin DB 7 (Nice car to drive but to work on)
1x Porsche 356
1x Jag XK 120 This was my Favourite car, with stainless exhaust system it sounded great.
But None of these where mine!
So now being out of the trade for ten years I feel like I would like to tinker on a car again , Mine this time.
The biggest hurdle in Victoria is what’s called ADR (Australian design rules) requirements.
One regulation is a motor that is no older than 3 years once a build is commenced, and all standard ECU and emission control has to be used.
I also believe that rose joint suspension may be frowned upon (Don’t ask me why?)
However a well Triangulated 7 Chassis does pass and that’s without a cage so the Midlana should pass with flying colours.
So once the garden is sorted ( Its summer here and very hot 43Deg the other day 31 overnight)
And the garage space sorted ( I have recently plumbed Evaporative cooling into the garage lol ) I will be ready to go.
Oh and once the Engineer looks over the plans and gives me the go ahead.
Thanks for a great read so far and looking forward to helping where I can .
:mrgreen:

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 14 Jan 2010, 06:07

Welcome!

Three years can be an issue - car projects have a way of taking way longer than anyone thinks. Negotiable if you're married, worse if you have kids.

One way to deal with the 3-yr engine issue is to purchase the engine toward the end of chassis construction. Doing so has other benefits, such as prices continuing to drop, new, potentially more interesting drivetrains showing up, and a combination of the two, where you really like an engine, but it's too expensive. Wait a year or so and maybe it'll be affordable.

I'm "pretty sure" my design should pass your construction standards.

bwitte

Post by bwitte » 26 Jan 2010, 15:28

Hi Everyone,
I've got the book on order and I am considering trying my hand at building myself a car. I have done a body off resto of my 1965 convertable karmann-ghia, so I do have some minor skills, along with a general understanding of cars/frame/motor/tranny (but very limited in suspension). I have a lot of tools already, including a welder. I have a 1999 nissan maxima that I'm currently thinking may be the donor engine/tranny. I'm currently residing in washington DC, but will be moving out west in aug/sept. so the actual build won't start for a while. In the mean time, I'll be reading/planning/designing.

Cheers.
Bill.

lotus19

Post by lotus19 » 26 Jan 2010, 19:30

bwitte wrote:I've got the book on order...
Kurt--How/where can we pre-order the book?

Joe

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 26 Jan 2010, 19:46

Hah, no, he's referring to the Kimini book. Belive me, you guy's will be the first to know when the Midlana book's done!

Poboy

Post by Poboy » 11 Feb 2010, 10:14

Hi all. Signed up here from locostusa. Can't afford to build a car right now, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can and maybe start planning/drawing/designing. Just wanted to say hi.

buyos1717

Post by buyos1717 » 22 Mar 2010, 23:07

Been lurking and figured i should say "hello."

I'm in the process of designing my potential car and don't expect to finish anytime soon. I figured i would post in here first (well actually second) because I have tons of questions!

acra

Post by acra » 02 Jul 2010, 15:02

Just thought I'd post a quick hello... I've just spent most of the evening reading through the build diary to date, I'm assuming it continues from December on the forums here, not got that far yet though!
I'm an apprentice aerospace engineer here in the UK, so I'm thinking in the future here, but I'm interested in doing a project kitcar...

I was looking for ages about the ideas of doing a Locost 7, but really want to put a front-wheel drive engine in, so stumbled into this site, and I'm interested!

I'm just going to continue to lurk, continue the good work - I will definitely be purchasing the book when it's released!!

Greg

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 02 Jul 2010, 16:24

acra wrote:...I've just spent most of the evening reading through the build diary to date, I'm assuming it continues from December on the forums here...
If you are referring to the build diary on the Midlana website (instead of here), it's up to date as of today. Are you saying you don't see anything more recent? I bet you're looking in the "old" diaries... the new one is always at the same URL: http://www.midlana.com/Diaries/Current/

acra

Post by acra » 03 Jul 2010, 01:26

Midlana1 wrote:
acra wrote:...I've just spent most of the evening reading through the build diary to date, I'm assuming it continues from December on the forums here...
If you are referring to the build diary on the Midlana website (instead of here), it's up to date as of today. Are you saying you don't see anything more recent? I bet you're looking in the "old" diaries... the new one is always at the same URL: http://www.midlana.com/Diaries/Current/
Whoops! That just shows how late it was here ;)
Thanks for that link, I'm going to continue reading that for a few hours :D

I'm really keen on using a 1KR-FE engine from the PSA group - used in cars like the Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, Toyota Aygo etc. Mainly because I owned a C1 as my first real car, and was devastated when I wrote her off. It'd be good to someday commemorate her by using the same style engine in a kit :)

The Wiki page says a bit about the engine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_KR_engine
But in short, it's an ultra lightweight 1 litre, 3 pot engine - it's even been adapted for some light aircraft! It weighs 69Kg, or about 152 pounds, but develops 68Hp :)

My plan involves the TTE supercharger, modified of course to fit within whichever kit I end up doing - but it should mean that I end up with a fairly nippy, very light but economic fun car!