Introductions

Introductions, posting rules, FAQ - What is a "Midlana"? Can I build one? How long does it take? How much does it cost?
rrobb
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: Yes

Introductions

Post by rrobb » 21 Mar 2009, 08:25

Hi. Figured I should introduce myself. My name is Cory and I probably will not be building for a few years. I'm working on my STS Miata, but when it's fully developed I'll be in need of a project. I've been looking at Locosts for quite some time but what I really wanted was a good set of Atom plans. This is so much better. A Midlana will make a great D-Mod car. I'm mostly into autocross but these should also be a great hillcilmb cars, MUCH safer than the Locost. Thanks Kurt.

fastwagon
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Introductions

Post by fastwagon » 24 Apr 2009, 19:30

I've been back and forth for some time regarding modifying my current vehicle and building something. I'm going the build route. I'm going to focus on this basic design as I've got enough projects I'd like to build and I don't have time for any more paralysis by analysis.
Unfortunately I've been offered the opportunity to get a certificate for project management training and I can't turn down excellent training at an amazing university. So--- I'll basically be planning for the next year and I need to review registering in SC.
I'm going to modify this design so that I can transport a wheel chair and I need to do some work to allow my wife easy access. I'm also going to have her help me with the body design.
I think I'll go with the Honda K24 and I don't know that I'll modify it. If I can keep the weight down and still pull 160-200 hp out of the thing I should get amazing performance and great fuel economy as well.
My true goal is a plane. Thought I would have built one by this time in my life and this project will let me experiment with balancing two kids and my wife (priorities) with camping and the other things I enjoy.

Added -- I have been to Oshkosh 2X and even have my pilot's license, but I have not flown in years as pilot in command. -- My friend built an RV-6 and is now building a 7.
Regards,
Eric
Last edited by fastwagon on 06 May 2009, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 25 Apr 2009, 08:39

I've been thinking over your challanging mechanical engineering problem. I wonder if the side bars and panels could hinge at the bottom, kind of like a ramp, hinging down to the ground, The trouble there is it seems like it would be too steep - although it's only a 4" rise... Or just hinge the side bars at the front like real doors but it has to be structurally sound when it's closed.

About your engine choice, that'll certainly give plenty of power and torque. That said, as I go through my K24 I'm having second thoughts about recommending it. Oh it'll be kick-butt fast, but it costs a lot to make it act like the K20 so the RSX ECU can be used. Than again, this car has to be something like a showcase, a "what-if" kind of thing. While plenty of people get high power out of the K20, the K24 doesn't have to spin as fast to make it. Eh, we'll see.

rrobb
Are you a spammer: Yes

Post by rrobb » 28 Apr 2009, 12:13

Eric,
A plane? Wow me too, someday. My grandfather has built 3. Well, he rebuilt 2 (Aeronca Champ & Chief), and built 1 from a kit (Kitfox). I'm most interested in the Rutan designs. There is a big open-source Long-ez movement that will be fun someday. My advice if your serious: Join the EAA, and go to Oshkosh. In fact anyone who is interested in building anything should go to Oshkosh, you will be amazed.

Cory

Jagmandave

Post by Jagmandave » 30 Apr 2009, 11:09

Hello all,

My names Dave, and I'm a carnut.......

(chorus) Hi Dave! :D

Anywho, my background is with high end imports, mostly Porsche, Jaguar, Lexus and Audi, but lately I've been mostly driving my MINI Cooper S JCW. Getting back to lightweight cars (relatively speaking) and spending some time at our local track - Heartland Park roadcourse in Topeka - in the MINIs has got me thinking track car again. I came this close to making an offer on Kimini but fortunately or not other financial considerations interferred and it got sold away.

I spent 4 years rebuilding an XK-E coupe, which I still own and drive, so I have some fab skills and probably can follow good directions, which is why I'm here watching Midlana get built and contemplating starting my own.

I've been watching this project with great interest and hope to become a valued contributor here..........or at the very least not to much of an annoyance! :roll: :D

fastwagon

Post by fastwagon » 06 May 2009, 19:15

I've always love the Cooper S. It's fun to watch them blow away the other cars on the autocross courses I've been at.

Jagmandave

Post by Jagmandave » 07 May 2009, 08:27

The '03 Cooper S I have is also John Cooper Works car and it's been a real revelation to me, having owned "Classic" Coopers in the past. But what really impressed me out side of the power in the supercharged Cooper engine are the handling and the brakes. I think BMW must build the best brakes on mainstream cars out there - easy to modulate and very, very powerful.

But the one thing I'd like to see them do is make it lighter - my '03 weighs 2750lbs with me aboard! That's more than my XK-E with it's big old lump of a 6 cylinder motor.......

I owned and autocrossed a Super 7 back in '69 or so with a 1275 Sprite motor and the one thing I really liked about it was the light weight - that's set the tone for all my other cars since, and why I'm looking at building a Midlana, someday.

Tom Kirkham

Post by Tom Kirkham » 08 Aug 2009, 12:12

Just found this forum. I purchased the Kimini book some time ago, and surprise of all surprise a friend of mine bought the car. I have been building customs cars for some time now. But I am always looking for fresh ideas. The idea of a modern Super 7 has intrigued me for a very long time.
Some of the cars we have built can be seen here: http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/custom/40_index.html

fastwagon

Post by fastwagon » 24 Aug 2009, 07:36

Looks like you can build all the stuff that's got me confused right now! Those vehicles are beautiful. I still think I can come up with a simple cockpit that's weather tight, but I have yet to get an idea complete without running into numerous difficulties.
Some of the cars we have built can be seen here:
Eric

diavolillo

Introduction and questions

Post by diavolillo » 29 Aug 2009, 09:28

hi gang, this is marco from somerville, mass. new to this forum but familiar with both kimini and midlana. i'm gearing up to design and build a car of my own design and i've found kurt's kimini book very useful and inspiring, and am looking forward to reading of the experiences from all of you. but first, i have a a couple of questions:

first, does anyone have any info on the human interface, or rules of thumb regarding cockpit standards and dimensions? for instance, the ultra-shield rally sport model is available in a 10- and 20-degree layback. also, i remember reading some time ago that to achieve proper driver position in a racing car, the calf and thigh should form a 120-degree angle. any info would be greatly appreciated.

second: are there any massachusetts-based builders out there? as i'm sure is true with most all builders, i consider the regulatory aspect to be the single biggest risk in this endeavour.

thanks in advance for your help. i look forward to both contributing and learning from the rest of you.