Introductions

Introductions, posting rules, FAQ - What is a "Midlana"? Can I build one? How long does it take? How much does it cost?
Mike94531
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Introductions

Postby Mike94531 » 23 Oct 2018, 07:49

DennisDoesEverything wrote:
I can't wait to read more of your story as it unfolds. I myself work in 2nd level engineering for the USA Federal Aviation Administration as an electrical engineer (contractor), so you seem like the sort of person I'd get along with! In fact, my team lead is also named Tony and he speak Spanish, but I don't remember what country he is originally from - I should ask him. I think there must be a lot of common ground between aerospace careers and people who would want to do a project like this. You can see evidence of how many car guys (and gals!) there are by looking in the parking lot at the FAA center: the distribution of cars is bi-modal. Some of the cars (usually owned by managers) are things like Mustangs and S2000s and $80K pickups; at the other end of the spectrum 80s and 90s cars kept running 100's of thousands of miles past when any reasonable person would have junked the car: why replace it when you can still fix it? And many of my coworkers have bought or dream to buy places outside town so they can have a shop, such as you describe. :)

I'll have to agree with you on the aerospace folk and cars like the Midlana... former A&P myself.

Mike
Antioch, CA

clayton4d

Postby clayton4d » 23 Oct 2018, 16:44

hello everyone! my name is Clayton Ford, i am a young red seal licensed automotive service technician here in northwestern Ontario, Canada. im finally posting after reviewing (creeping :P ) this Midlana forum and the Midlana website for some time now. So I have always loved the lotus seven, since the moment I saw it reviewed on top gear UK. For years I looked up kits, for sale cars, or even importing one. None of which ever panned out. Living at home had put a bit of a damper on taking up space for my parents and have no space (garage) to work on anything. Dreams were dreams for what seemed like an eternity. Recently I learned from a friend at the race track in Gimli Manitoba, who built his own Locost super seven, about the Locost forums and how my friend built his own from the ground up. Those conversations ended up leading me to this wonderful car we all call Midlana. I have already built a 1993 k swapped Honda Del Sol SI. It was tracked it a few time and I continue to fall in love with racing more and more every season. Funds were tight but I built a hell of a motor to get where it is. Sadly the Honda shell i used to build the motor in crumbled around me before I could get the chance to repair the chassis from big corrosion. So then became the serious thought of buying another shell and playing the game of swapping things around or... I could achieve a dream of mine to build a car from the ground up. So begins my journey into building my own Midlana car. i ordered the Ron Champion book and Midlana book to start my research. Now i have read front to back the Midlana book and in the process of finishing my garage to start the project. I will start a thread shortly of my build. just need to do the finishing touches on the man cave. i look forward to beginning this journey and I hope you all enjoy what I have to share! thanks!

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 24 Oct 2018, 01:28

Welcome :)

DennisDoesEverything

Postby DennisDoesEverything » 25 Oct 2018, 07:53

clayton4d wrote:Sadly the Honda shell i used to build the motor in crumbled around me before I could get the chance to repair the chassis from big corrosion. So then became the serious thought of buying another shell and playing the game of swapping things around or... I could achieve a dream of mine to build a car from the ground up.

I know the feeling. In college I had a 71 Super Beetle, but I could only park it / work on it at my parents' house 45 minutes away. I had this terrible feeling/vision of the shell rusting around me faster than I could fix things. The relentless march of Entropy.

So would you say that your previous work makes you feel more prepared for this, or do you wish you had just jumped into building the custom chassis sooner? I have a Prelude tear-down/resto-mod in progress, and several engines in the garage I feel I should rebuild first, constantly feel torn between thinking I need to get them and back burner projects all done first vs. feeling like I am wasting time compared to starting on what I "really" want to do. I figure the Midlana will take years and I could drive the current project in the meantime. But I'm not sure whether the experience gained outweighs the time detour...

clayton4d

Postby clayton4d » 26 Oct 2018, 08:55

DennisDoesEverything wrote: So would you say that your previous work makes you feel more prepared for this, or do you wish you had just jumped into building the custom chassis sooner? I have a Prelude tear-down/resto-mod in progress, and several engines in the garage I feel I should rebuild first, constantly feel torn between thinking I need to get them and back burner projects all done first vs. feeling like I am wasting time compared to starting on what I "really" want to do. I figure the Midlana will take years and I could drive the current project in the meantime. But I'm not sure whether the experience gained outweighs the time detour...

I would say absolutely yes the previous work makes me feel more prepared. In my case I’m a worry wart. I’ve accepted that now haha. But I’ve taught myself, through the years of working on vehicles and researching endlessly, that nothing is impossible. I have a powerful drive and motivation to do things when I finally set my mind to them. To me I find having that much more experience with welding, fabrication, mechanics, and general knowledge goes a long long way when undertaking a big project like this one. I overthink a lot, even now before I have started the damn thing! But reading , research and having guys like you and everyone else on here is key, In my opinion. To me the biggest factor will always be comfort. If you feel overwhelmed with the idea of challeneging certain aspects of the build or the whole project, then I suggest spending more time doing the things I listed prior to get comfortable. Make your mistakes early on. That’s the best way to learn. Hopefully it’s not to costly in the process haha. It’s really up to you about if you should jump into the project. I’m a yes man, but I feel that I am only now ready to challenge the midlana project after all the years of helping friends build their race cars, my cars, my swaps, and my working life as a tech, now is the time I should take my challenge to a higher peak. I always wanted to build a car from the ground up. But without any real knowledge I felt it was too much. I’ll say your never “wasting time” doing other projects besides the midlana or locost. Your only furthering your comfort and knowledge as you progress. You can’t go wrong in my opinion. I hope this made sense and that it helps you out in some way. I know I can’t wait to get started on my midlana. Prep is already in the works for me. Stripping my k swapped Del sol and then building the table and then getting all the stuff I need to start building. Cheers!

Webster

Postby Webster » 15 Nov 2018, 23:08

Hi everyone , my name is Webster Gough and I'm in the wellington area of New Zealand. I'm a maintenance fitter by trade .
I have been racing cars for quite some years ,mainly hill climbs , sprints and autocross , the recent ones in a Toyota Starlet GT turbo. It weighs about 870kg (1920 lb) and has 217 kw (296hp). It is pretty competitive but not quite enough to get me to the very pointy end of the events that I do , so I decided to build something faster.
A few years back I started building a twin engined Starlet , but it has been on the backburner for a while with forced workshop moves , and as I can't figure out how to sort the suspension to my liking , it's effectively the front suspension at both ends , i.e mac strut all round . Anyway I was looking around for ways to sort it and indirectly came upon the Midlana.
I have decided this is a much better replacement for the Starlet race car , I like that the suspension is already sorted , that you can make it to suit you , that it's mid engined and especially that it's core is a roll cage.
I have been poring over the manual and the forum , and been grabbing ideas in my head for my build. I am re-acquainting myself with 3d modeling using fusion 360. As you can hopefully see below I have managed to model the floor and used grabcad to get some seats that I have modified to the same measurements as my current race seats so I can see how everything fits together , because space is definitely at a premium in this car :-)

modified chassis .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby freakynami » 16 Nov 2018, 03:23

Welcome aboard, and a great start on your virtual build!

From a visit a few years back, I am vaguely aware of NZ having a pretty awesome car culture, very jealous :) It wouldn't surprise me to hear you drive the starlet on the roads for tuning purposes...

Looking forward to another build coming along, hope you can make a better pace than myself so I can see a second one get onto the track ;)

Webster

Postby Webster » 16 Nov 2018, 13:05

Thanks , I've really enjoyed your virtual and actual build posts. The starlet was road legal for a fair while but it got to the point where it was easier to trailer it to events

freakynami wrote:Welcome aboard, and a great start on your virtual build!

From a visit a few years back, I am vaguely aware of NZ having a pretty awesome car culture, very jealous :) It wouldn't surprise me to hear you drive the starlet on the roads for tuning purposes...

Looking forward to another build coming along, hope you can make a better pace than myself so I can see a second one get onto the track ;)

Return to “Start here!”