Introductions

Introductions, posting rules, FAQ - What is a "Midlana"? Can I build one? How long does it take? How much does it cost?
Justin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Introductions

Postby Justin » 04 Mar 2018, 19:52

Hi, The EA888 is the one. Roller on the fuel pump drive supposed to have cured the cam problems. but still prone to coking up inlets. I believe the CJX turbo version has uprated crank,rods and crossbolted mains. Good for 350 whp which would be plenty. With Quaife, Sadev or Elite sequential dog boxes so expensive the weight penalty of dsg might be worth the effort. It will be a trailered track day toy to keep me out of the pub in retirement. Dsg and adjustable traction control would almost be sensible. I will only have to buy Tig welder have most other kit already. Justin

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 05 Mar 2018, 08:16

Ah ya, the EA888, while it has its issues, is a lot more robust than the EA113. Most issues are either timing chain tensioner related or intake valve coking as you mentioned. I believe the later gen EA888's have solved the timing tensioner issue as well. I have a '12 GTI, with the gen 1 EA888 (CBFA) and with just a stage 1 ECU flash it puts out 237whp/276wtq (ft-lbs). Even in a ~3000lb car it's fairly entertaining.
Bill J

DennisDoesEverything

Postby DennisDoesEverything » 07 May 2018, 21:23

Dennis from Oklahoma here. I've had a Honda H22 engine + transmission sitting in the garage begging to be used in a project, and last weekend I cut the front half and floor pan off of a stripped Prelude frame to use for my project. I'm planning on using Prelude running gear and wheelbase, Midlana space frame and front suspension, and design and fabricate a 90s-NSX-inspired fiberglass body to overlay it. Just bought the Midlana book tonight and joined the forum.

Edit: it may be a silly thing, but I kept the old rectangular tail light assemblies from my wife's 99 Prelude (before we changed the tail lights in it), and I can just imagine designing the back of a car around these.

Castrol

Postby Castrol » 27 May 2018, 07:32

Hey everyone,

I just ordered the book and am waiting to tear into it and start to plan out my expenses. While I’ve never built a car before or really done any car engine work... or anything aside from some car audio installation... I have been dreaming of having my own performance car for years. However I have always been practical with buying the awe sedan while living in Colorado to buying my wife a safe car with great gas mileage for when we start our family. But if I keep dreaming I will never start and thus never finish. So I have decided to jump in on a Midlana since it seems to check all of the containers: mid-engine- check, not too expensive- check (especially since I can manage the budget as the project goes), and finally looks awesome!

Now I have worked extensively on modifying personal watercraft engines so that should carry over some, as for the rest I will just have to learn as I go! I’m excited to start reading the book and my hope is that I can start the actual build in a year or 2 since right now the primary focus is planning and the family. However, expect me to be constantly lurking on the forum even if I’m not posting I will be trying to learn as much as I can!!!

-Castrol

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 27 May 2018, 08:48

Welcome. My dad built the house we grew up in and he'd never built one before, and a car project can be worked on when you want to, unlike a home. To be honest though, your mention of starting a family is a really big deal and has been the "downfall" of many a car builder. Your free time simply vanishes into something that is far more important, so think about how you'll manage "build time." It's also important to have support from your wife, so that when you disappear into the man cave, it doesn't become a problem.

Castrol

Postby Castrol » 28 May 2018, 04:20

Midlana1 wrote:Welcome. My dad built the house we grew up in and he'd never built one before, and a car project can be worked on when you want to, unlike a home. To be honest though, your mention of starting a family is a really big deal and has been the "downfall" of many a car builder. Your free time simply vanishes into something that is far more important, so think about how you'll manage "build time." It's also important to have support from your wife, so that when you disappear into the man cave, it doesn't become a problem.

Fortunately my wife is supportive, for now.... but the goal is to start the car when my kids are very young in order to finish it with as they grow. I am trying to go into this with the expectation that I won’t be able to finish it quickly. But, thanks for the heads up!

Mike94531

Postby Mike94531 » 24 Sep 2018, 10:49

Greetings from Nor-Cal East Bay (Antioch, California)

Any Midlana builds in the Bay Area?

Just ordered the book a few days ago, looking forward to getting it to start reading and planning.

Mike
Antioch, CA

Tony Campos

Postby Tony Campos » 05 Oct 2018, 12:20

Good evening Lords of the Council,
My name is Antonio, but I guess Tony will be easier around here. I am a retired Brazilian Air Force Mechanical Engineer, who has worked for almost 30 years with helicopter engines and framework maintenance and overhaul.
Now that I am retired I bought my self a small ranch on the country side of a city called Maricá, in the state of Rio, built my house and now I am putting together a shop for working on some building projects I have postponed all my working life.
I have just received the Midlana book, about a week ago, and, together with another engineering enthusiast friend, we are studying the project.
My initial goal was to build a FWD rear engine tricycle, such as the ones built on a VW beetle chassis and probably I will, but depending on the time availability of my friend and some other oldtimers I know, we'll probably put together what seems to be the first Midlana project in Brazil... If you know of anybody else around here working on one, I would really like to know!
Well, looking forward to chat with you and exchanging experiences as we go!
Cheers!

Tony Campos

Re: newcomer introduction

Postby Tony Campos » 05 Oct 2018, 12:21

DavidIt wrote:David from italy)
thinking, trying. dreaming.
midlana with alfa 'twin spark' engine.

Nice choice of engine, fratello!!

DennisDoesEverything

Postby DennisDoesEverything » 08 Oct 2018, 07:39

Tony Campos wrote:Good evening Lords of the Council,
My name is Antonio, but I guess Tony will be easier around here. I am a retired Brazilian Air Force Mechanical Engineer, who has worked for almost 30 years with helicopter engines and framework maintenance and overhaul.
Now that I am retired I bought my self a small ranch on the country side of a city called Maricá, in the state of Rio, built my house and now I am putting together a shop for working on some building projects I have postponed all my working life.
I have just received the Midlana book, about a week ago, and, together with another engineering enthusiast friend, we are studying the project.
My initial goal was to build a FWD rear engine tricycle, such as the ones built on a VW beetle chassis and probably I will, but depending on the time availability of my friend and some other oldtimers I know, we'll probably put together what seems to be the first Midlana project in Brazil... If you know of anybody else around here working on one, I would really like to know!
Well, looking forward to chat with you and exchanging experiences as we go!
Cheers!

I can't wait to read more of your story as it unfolds. I myself work in 2nd level engineering for the USA Federal Aviation Administration as an electrical engineer (contractor), so you seem like the sort of person I'd get along with! In fact, my team lead is also named Tony and he speak Spanish, but I don't remember what country he is originally from - I should ask him. I think there must be a lot of common ground between aerospace careers and people who would want to do a project like this. You can see evidence of how many car guys (and gals!) there are by looking in the parking lot at the FAA center: the distribution of cars is bi-modal. Some of the cars (usually owned by managers) are things like Mustangs and S2000s and $80K pickups; at the other end of the spectrum 80s and 90s cars kept running 100's of thousands of miles past when any reasonable person would have junked the car: why replace it when you can still fix it? And many of my coworkers have bought or dream to buy places outside town so they can have a shop, such as you describe. :)

Return to “Start here!”