Introductions, posting rules, FAQ - What is a "Midlana"? Can I build one? How long does it take? How much does it cost?
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Introductions

Postby Justin » 04 Mar 2018, 19:52

Hi, The EA888 is the one. Roller on the fuel pump drive supposed to have cured the cam problems. but still prone to coking up inlets. I believe the CJX turbo version has uprated crank,rods and crossbolted mains. Good for 350 whp which would be plenty. With Quaife, Sadev or Elite sequential dog boxes so expensive the weight penalty of dsg might be worth the effort. It will be a trailered track day toy to keep me out of the pub in retirement. Dsg and adjustable traction control would almost be sensible. I will only have to buy Tig welder have most other kit already. Justin

Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Introductions

Postby rennkafer » 05 Mar 2018, 08:16

Ah ya, the EA888, while it has its issues, is a lot more robust than the EA113. Most issues are either timing chain tensioner related or intake valve coking as you mentioned. I believe the later gen EA888's have solved the timing tensioner issue as well. I have a '12 GTI, with the gen 1 EA888 (CBFA) and with just a stage 1 ECU flash it puts out 237whp/276wtq (ft-lbs). Even in a ~3000lb car it's fairly entertaining.
Bill J

Return to “Start here!”