Introductions

Introductions, posting rules, FAQ - What is a "Midlana"? Can I build one? How long does it take? How much does it cost?
soultrain
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Introductions

Postby soultrain » 17 Jul 2017, 20:54

Hello! My name is Chris Sulfrian, aka Soultrain. I live in Erie, CO (north of Denver). My wife bought me your book a couple of years ago for Father's Day, and I've been scheming on building the car since before the book was even finished. I'm finally getting on the forum a bit because I have concrete plans to get the project rolling! I bought a 1995 Volvo 850 turbo in January for the drivetrain, and started purchasing steel last month.

A little about me: I'm a bicycle frame fabricator as my day job, and it really is my dream job! I work for a company called REEB Cycles https://reebcycles.com, and I'm responsible for fabricating all of the frames we sell. The encompasses all of the design, cutting (steel, Titanium, and aluminum) tubes and fitting them up in fixtures, TIG welding the frames, CNC machining all the small parts for our aluminum full suspension frames, and all the powder coating. I do this all out of a 1000 sqft shop in Longmont, CO; I'll be building the car at home, as I don't have any space left in my shop...

Check out some of my work on Instagram at @fabREEBcator - https://www.instagram.com/fabreebcator/

I'm super excited to get going on this project!
Prancing Moose FTW!

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 18 Jul 2017, 07:00

Welcome Chris... Yay for another oddball 5 cylinder guy! In my case it's a VW, but hey us 5 pot guys have to stick together!
Bill J

Evlshnngns

Postby Evlshnngns » 27 Jul 2017, 09:35

Howdy Yall. I have to say thanks to Kurt for the awesome little niche he has created. Also to the builders here, lots of nice work being done. I've hoarded a couple of the big parts for this build, just need to get all the other projects ahead of it done to start:roll: Anyhoo keep up the good work.

svltrack

From Yuppeville, PA

Postby svltrack » 28 Jul 2017, 21:50

Hello All,

My name is Joe, and I live in the Philadelphia suburbs. I am an automobile, and motorcycle enthusiast through and through. In my younger twenties, I was a technician at a GM dealer, and some smaller shops as well. For the past 15 years now, I have been working at a motorcycle/fabrication shop as "technical support."

While I just sold my last motorcycle (2011 Hayabusa), I still maintain a decent garage of toys. Right now the corral is almost full, with a 2015 STI, 2001 MRS, 1985 Scirocco, 2017 Silverado, and a 1981 Cutlass. Currently, I have a turbo k24a swap going on in my spyder, and of course am tinkering with the Scirocco/STI. So far the 6.2 in the 1500 has been enough for kicking around town. The cutlass I have squirreled away in my basement for a LS swap, with a true truckarm frame next to it (pinched of course).

Besides toys with wheels, I have a bit of a fabrication shop, and an automotive lift in my barns. My favourite tool would have to be my Miller dynasty, but the Bridgeport, 22x60 Cazeneuve, and Hardinge Chucker are close rivals.

For a few months now, I've been thinking in my head about a one-off mid-engine rocket ship, and after a healthy debate at work a few weeks ago (discussing the raw numbers of motorcycle vs. automobile), I happened to find myself reading about "Midlanda."

The irony of course, is that effectively my MRS is a modern production of this core idea. I4, w/transaxle, rear mounted, mini-mobile. As I write this now, I am a good bit through the driveline research, and will have a running variant in a couple of months (still waiting on parts).

So when I read a little about the concept of the mid engine, custom chassis, and compared to my knowledge/skill bank, it just went off like a bomb! Yes, yes, yes! Sign me up! Now I'll be reading a good bit, and working the designs ever so slightly to meet my desires. To be candid though, as it sits, it looks crazy nice, and the numbers are right in line with where I have figured to be needed to hang with the fastest sport bikes made (my end goal)

ShadowCat38

Postby ShadowCat38 » 01 Aug 2017, 06:38

Yay! More US builders! The UK builders are starting to outnumber us.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 01 Aug 2017, 10:20

All 4 of us :)

Roge

Postby Roge » 04 Aug 2017, 12:13

Hello from the USA...yay! Make that 5 of us 8-)

Located just a bit from Centennial in CO, I've been lurking for a while and really thinking of building a budget Midlana. With some extremely careful planning, I've taken the steps towards building one now, by purchasing an engine and keeping a sheet of parts I can gather. Wish I could find some Miata parts that weren't so damn expensive!

I'll keep in touch here and there, it'll certainly be a journey.

SteveH

Postby SteveH » 14 Oct 2017, 00:53

Hi, thought I should do a quite intro before diving straight into the questions. I am based in the UK (South Wales) and have done a number of bike projects (single cylinder bikes) but have yet to attempt a car project. Having completed an evening class in the local college (a few years back) I am a reasonable welder and have MIG and TIG boxes, my garage is a little cramped so I suspect I may face a few space challenges but we shall see. The plan is to build something I can use on the road and occasionally hill climb.
I have bought the book and as recommended I am going through it from front to back. A couple of questions have come to mind as I a try to decide on a suitable donor engine/gearbox.

* Are there any completed UK road registered Midlana's on the forum, and if so did you manage to retain either the MX5/Miata registration number or the engines/gearbox donors registration plate ?
* I have seen several quite old posts from several people about building an MSA complaint rollcage, did anyone manage to build one and still manage to get in and out of the car ?
*With regard to engines I was thinking of retaining the MX5/Miata engine is there a suitable gearbox/transaxle I can use to convert it from a RWD format to FWD format ?. I have seen reference to Mazda 323, has anyone done this ?

Thanks for any help/guidance you can offer

Steve

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 14 Oct 2017, 02:20

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the gang. I very much doubt you could keep even an age related plate on a midlana build. I’m fully expecting a Q plate on mine. TBH, I prefer them as it makes the post IVA emissions tests come MOT time much easier.

Time to start your build thread :)

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 14 Oct 2017, 08:25

SteveH, welcome.

As of this date, no one has completed a car yet - these things take years, they just do.

Regarding the engine, yes, I think it's the Mazda 323 which uses the Miata engine in a FWD arrangement, but please confirm!

Return to “Start here!”