Introductions

Introductions, posting rules, FAQ - What is a "Midlana"? Can I build one? How long does it take? How much does it cost?
allenparkpete
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Introductions

Post by allenparkpete » 02 Dec 2020, 06:31

Hello. I am the Prodigal Lurker. That is (and maybe it'll jar Kurt's memory...maybe not) I used to follow Kurt's Kimini build back in 2005. We even traded a couple of emails back then and I recall when the Kimini was wrapped up, what he would do next. We both discussed a rear engine S7 but Mr. Bilinski took it a step further I see.

A lot has changed in 15 years. Back then YouTube did exist but not the way it is featured now. Instagram? Facebook? Nope. Blogging. That was cutting edge and in some ways still is. There is some much information now compared to the early 2000's that the mystery is somewhat taken out of it but at the same time, I am glad for that evolution too.

I did end up building a Deman SR7 but had to sell it as I finished it due to a major job layoff in 2006. Since then I have been here there and everywhere and finally have a house again...and a garage.

I was seriously interested in building a Rat Rod or a Board Track Racer but looking at some of the Rat Rod builds, while just a blast and I remain a fan, the safety aspect is seriously lacking. As for motorbikes, I truly wanted to be a Motor Bike guy but it won't take. I'm not a motorcyclist.

Then I happened upon Midlana and the Lulu Book (still in the mail). Something clicked and the Midlana seems to scratch all the itches I have. Stay tuned. I hope to get rolling after Christmas but its time to organize and plan first.

- Pete

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 02 Dec 2020, 08:29

Welcome Pete! I'm glad that Midlana scratches all your design itches, and look forward to your build diary. Any idea on what drivetrain?

allenparkpete

Post by allenparkpete » 02 Dec 2020, 11:23

I would see what is available locally first but a Honda powertrain, or Hyundai 1.6L Turbo would be some choices up front.

I don't live in Honda country but 235 miles away is Toronto....which is a Honda town. JDM town in fact. Would not be surprised to get an engine sourced from that area.

dougp

Post by dougp » 19 Sep 2021, 20:09

Good Afternoon fellow Midlantians (is that what we are called now?)

I'm Doug, I'm from Canberra Australia ( the 3rd most locked down city in the known universe behind Melbourne and Sydney)

I've been looking into building a clubman for years now, I was all set to purchase a Puma Clubman kit, but unfortunately( or probably fortunately) its currently seems impossible to get a price or a delivery lead time. The Puma is designed to take an SR20DET but I was really keen on fitting a turbo K24

So back to the Midlana, looking at the specs it really suits my needs a lot better, and the bonus is I have a Nissan NXR coupe with a SR20DET from a U13 bluebird in it sitting it the carpark at work doing nothing.

So the house I've been building is close to finished and I have a 10m *7m workshop area cut in under the house which is where I will build the car

The book was ordered last week and I should be moving in to the new place next week if I can get a few things finished around these current Covid restrictions.

When travel is a bit easier here I'd love to come see a few of the other builds

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 20 Sep 2021, 05:15

Welcome, Doug!

I'm jealous of your shop layout. If it's how I picture it, it's how I'd design my dream home: A single level home on a hillside, with the garage/shop under the house. Our single level homes here in the western US are typically built on a concrete slab, so repairs or running new wires is difficult. Having a shop below means, much like when you have a basement, having full access to the bottom of the home. Need a new outlet, no problem. Water leak, piece of cake. Oh well, we make the best of what we've got!

Looking forward to your build diary, and you're in good company. There's certainly a growing group of builders Down Under!

rennkafer

Post by rennkafer » 20 Sep 2021, 06:35

Midlana1 wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 05:15
Welcome, Doug!

I'm jealous of your shop layout. If it's how I picture it, it's how I'd design my dream home: A single level home on a hillside, with the garage/shop under the house.
You just described my house, Kurt. :D :D

Only downside is noise/fumes upstairs (which hasn't been too much of an issue so far) and that the ceilings are only 8' (7' ish under the support beams), so no lifts and a bit difficult to get machinery into at times.
Bill J

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Post by freakynami » 20 Sep 2021, 14:17

Hi Doug!

I spent a while looking at caterham's and even clemente's; but haven't doubted my choice once since going Midlana. For me it's about the journey not the destination so I'm taking a little longer than some!!

It looks like CBR are all over the place with daily numbers, and I can't quite understand what your lockdown rules are compared to our thankfully brief circuit breakers, but you are certainly in a better place than your Eastern couterparts...

Looking forward to another build, especially so close - my daughter lives near Belco, and I spent a little time in Tuggerz and Phillip so Canberra has a special place in my thoughts. If you ever escape the lockdown and are in Radelaide, you are most welcome to have a look at my build :)

dougp

Post by dougp » 20 Sep 2021, 16:49

yes Kurt, the house is on the low side of a hill. Driveway down the side to the Garage and workshop area at the back under the main floor. Unfortunately the land sizes currently on offer in Canberra are quite small, and the rules on size of house are quite restrictive. My workshop isn't technically allowed to be there even though if it was deleted the rest of the house would be exactly the same, except there would be a large area of dirt instead of a perfectly useable space.

I'm currently working on priorities
1. finish driveway so I have access to garage and workshop
2. move into house
3. buy tube bender and plasma cutter
4. start working on Midlana
5. Buy some carpets and curtains for house before it gets cold again next year

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 20 Sep 2021, 17:19

Ahahaha, I completely agree with the priority order!