Introductions

Introductions, posting rules, FAQ - What is a "Midlana"? Can I build one? How long does it take? How much does it cost?
JeffD
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Introductions

Post by JeffD » 29 Jul 2019, 21:47

Well, Lulu have notified me that my order has been shipped again - so we'll see what happens.

Sidewinder1018

Post by Sidewinder1018 » 20 Sep 2019, 11:29

Hey everyone! I'm Tim. I've been a lurker for a long time both here and on Locostcars.com. I've had the Midlana book for a couple years now and have read most of the way through it. I WILL eventually be building one of these and look forward to putting my own creative details into it. Not that their's anything wrong with your design Kurt, I just want to change little things here and there to make it my own.

As far as drivetrain I've considered everything from a Cobalt SS LNF 2.0T, Focus ST 2.0T, Mazda 2.3T, Neon SRT4 2.4T and so on. I've looked at 1st gen DSM cars to swap the right angle drive around to make it AWD (as someone did on the locost forums). Heck I even have designs started for an AWD LS powered locost using a skyline R33 drivetrain (front shaft on the passenger side makes it more doable).

However, I decided I need to start from somewhere and if I can build one car I can certainly do another. I need a garage before I can do anything physical so I'm purely in the planning stages for now.

I believe I've settled on a VW 2.0T with a DSG transmission. While I'm all for manuals (I daily a 16 STI) I figured a car such as this would benefit from a slick quick shifting dual clutch transmission while also cutting back on linkages required to operate a manual. No telling how this will pan out. I'm not sure of the intracancies of the electronics involved with the DSG or VW's 2.0T. Having had and worked on BMWs it seems the German manufacturers like to make things about as complicated as can be.

That said, sorry for the long post. I will surely be hanging about more and more as work through my options and the book. Hopefully, one of these days I'll be able to finally pull the trigger and start laying out some metal.

rennkafer

Post by rennkafer » 20 Sep 2019, 16:05

Welcome!

You may have less linkages with the DSG vs manual... but a lot more electronics. Also the DSG is ~100lbs heavier than the manual (which isn't any lightweight itself).

Mine will be a turbo'd 07K (VW 2.5l 5 cylinder), and I have a '12 GTI so been around the 2.0t a bit as well.
Bill J

Sidewinder1018

Post by Sidewinder1018 » 20 Sep 2019, 19:03

rennkafer wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 16:05
Welcome!

You may have less linkages with the DSG vs manual... but a lot more electronics. Also the DSG is ~100lbs heavier than the manual (which isn't any lightweight itself).

Mine will be a turbo'd 07K (VW 2.5l 5 cylinder), and I have a '12 GTI so been around the 2.0t a bit as well.
Hmm. Did not know it was that heavy (205lbs). I like the idea of the DCT because of it's quickshifting which for some reason just feels fitting for this car. Luckily I'm still in the planning stage with time to think on it.

rennkafer

Post by rennkafer » 20 Sep 2019, 20:31

I thought about using a DSG as well and investigated it. The 6sp 02Q is 110lbs ( I have one and have weighed it). The quick shifts would be fun but making all the electronics play nice in a chassis they weren't designed for could be amusing.
Bill J

Sidewinder1018

Post by Sidewinder1018 » 21 Sep 2019, 19:46

That would be my biggest issue I think. Finding out how much the electronics for the transmission play into the Traction control, ABS, and so on. I know it has launch control so the system has to be tied in some way to the TCS. Perhaps the only way to find out would be to get one and try it. If it doesn't work then swap for a manual or find a different engine source. Or the answer might be to find if anyone has swapped the engine and dsg into a different vehicle.