TDI Midlana?

Siga

TDI Midlana?

Post by Siga » 23 Jan 2009, 23:29

Hi All,

With VW winning the 2009 Dakar rally with their TDI cars and Audi’s great performance these last couple of years also with diesel power – has anyone thought of using a TDI engine in a Midlana? Something like a Jetta 2.0 TDI?

I know it would be a slightly heavier engine than a petrol equivalent, and it sure wouldn’t sound as good – but I think the novelty of a TDI track day car would be make up for it.

Comments welcome :-)

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: TDI Midlana?

Post by Midlana1 » 24 Jan 2009, 08:32

I think it would be great. There's a guy in Oregon (in fact it's who I get my composite from), he put a Kabota diesel in his Locost and got about 60-70 mpg (which is amazing considering the aero drag.) He won $5000 in a race to Vegas in it for getting the best mileage.

You can find more of his story here http://www.kineticvehicles.com

Greg_OR
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Post by Greg_OR » 27 Jan 2009, 20:48

Yeah, EU is flooded by very good diesel engines which developed far more than petrol ones last decade (now is time for revenge ;) )
As for light weight construction I wold consider vw 1.4 TDI, fiat 1.3 JTD ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JTD_engine ) or Ford/PSA 1.4/1.6 HDI/TDCI
the smallest diesels can produce 100+ hp (probably 120+ w chip tunning) and lots of torque (270Nm for JTD)
With one of them I'm sure you could succeed in many 'green' contests for enormous mpg :)

AK-S
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Post by AK-S » 01 Feb 2009, 22:14

By all means... VW just unveiled the Bluesport concept car running a mid-engine 2.0 TDI pushing 132kW (177hp) and 350 Nm of torque. Rumors are that it's close to production. We shall see.

The great thing about a diesel is that you can run a cat and straight-pipe (no mufflers) and it isn't too loud. Lots of turbo whistle though. :mrgreen:

GregHarris

Post by GregHarris » 26 Mar 2009, 13:35

I think a TDI Midlana would be unique and refreshing. I've always been a fan of the new diesle technology, and the VW/Audi TDI motor is a very willing powerplant. However, could be a bit costly lately to find one with the resale value on those cars holding so well the last year or two....

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 26 Mar 2009, 15:20

A 177hp diesel would be a great powerplant, and I know modifying turbo diesels is easy, just remap to dump in more fuel (I don't think they have MAP sensors or even throttle plates.)

emgr3

Post by emgr3 » 26 Mar 2009, 18:53

GregHarris wrote:I think a TDI Midlana would be unique and refreshing. I've always been a fan of the new diesle technology, and the VW/Audi TDI motor is a very willing powerplant. However, could be a bit costly lately to find one with the resale value on those cars holding so well the last year or two....
I've seen TDI powered wrecks go for between $600 and $900 at the local salvage auction which isn't bad. Those are Canadian dollars BTW so I'm guessing they're cheaper in the US. I think a TDI powered Midlana would be neat, there's something appealing about the idea of a seriously fast, lightweight, diesel powered car... 8-)

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 28 Mar 2009, 17:34

You know, the more I think about diesels the more I think it could be pretty cool. The only catch I see is dealing with the full-custom installation, meaning that the OEM ECU might be pretty unhappy having most of the emissions-related parts removed. However there's probably aftermarket support out there I'm unaware of.

Hey, if you guy's have iTunes, go there and search on "Truth in 24", it's a very well made 1 hr documentary about Audi's 2008 season with their diesel race car. Very well done. Best part is, as of right now you can download it for free.

jwindels

Post by jwindels » 16 Apr 2009, 08:30

I read about the Kubota Locost, it seems like it'd be alot of fun even though it looks a little goofy. A typical diesel will have plenty of torque for its size, so even though you may not have the horsepower to do a buck-twenty, you'll have a whole lot of fun getting to whatever top speed you end up with.

"Truth in 24" is also narrated by Jason Statham, "The Transporter". Fun stuff.