Turbo Diesel Midlana?

pantsman
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Turbo Diesel Midlana?

Post by pantsman » 24 May 2012, 21:57

Hi everyone,

I've been reading (alot!) in my spare time between reading uni textbooks about building from the soon-to-be Midlana book. I've slowly starting writing a watch-list of parts to assemble over the next year at best possible prices.

In the drivetrain department I've got many more questions than answers, how does the torque curve affect the handling of midlana? If i used one of these; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VM ... A_420_SOHC
would the torque (especially in low rpm) cause massive wheel spin with the lack of weight and/or massive slicks?

Its just that it seems Australia is full of lazy, high torque, low RPM FWD cars! I can get a 3.8L V6 with 5 speed manual from a FWD Magna for $600! but a nice 4g63 is twice that without a transmission!!

Will this be a huge issue, or more of a 'be gentle on corner exit' type deal?

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Turbo Diesel Midlana?

Post by Midlana1 » 25 May 2012, 13:37

Yes, and no.

Can the torque be a problem, yes, but only if you keep your foot down ;) Virtually any drivetrain will probably be able to spin the rear wheels, in first gear at least, no different than most cars. It's hard to say how tire width, tire compound, and rear weight bias will affect it though. Obviously I haven't driven the car yet so we'll see.

By the way, if I've got the strength to do another project, it will likely use a turbo diesel.