Cooling of intercooler

johnb
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Cooling of intercooler

Postby johnb » 22 Aug 2016, 16:34

Hello Kurt, Have you considered a low tower over the intercooler with a large electric radiator cooling fan with a fine water mist? The water could be turned off in the cooler parts of the year. I think that the "snorkus" spoils the profile of the car. :) I have been following your build pretty much from the beginning. Regards John Beggs From Australia.

dpkilty

Re: Cooling of intercooler

Postby dpkilty » 24 Aug 2016, 07:11

Subaru does this with some of their STi models. There is a "chimney duct" from the hood scoop to the top mount intercooler that seals against the intercooler. They then take a couple small sprayers and spray a mist over the intercooler. The controls vary by model, as some just have an on/off switch and others actually have an intake air temperature sensor that will activate the sprayer.
It works well enough, but they also have a good steady flow of clean "cool" air too.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 25 Oct 2016, 12:22

Sorry, been meaning to get to this thread.

I went the way I did because I wanted no maintenance, with no tanks to fill or maintain, and minimum weight, which means avoiding more tanks, hoses, radiators, and fans.

For the street and for drag racing, a heat exchanger around the intercooler works fine because the car's never at full boost long enough to heat up the water. A track day event though means long periods of full power and that's where a simple air inlet placed "just so" is superior.

Def

Postby Def » 07 Dec 2016, 18:39

I would go with water/meth injection on the engine before I'd start trying to spray water on the IC. It's much much more effective, and you get the "buffering" effect of having water introduced into the combustion chamber. It also cleans things off nicely! :lol:

The trick with that is to not tune or setup the engine to where you NEED the cooling. Keep the boost down and IATs reasonable, then add water/meth as a secondary level of safety. So if you do run out of juice, or have a hardware failure on it (they seem to not be the most reliable), you're not facing a dead engine.

Of course, E85 is the ultimate answer to this problem...

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 08 Dec 2016, 06:23

Def wrote:... Of course, E85 is the ultimate answer to this problem...

Pretty much, though E85's actual octane rating seems to be a lot lower than people think. Where it shines (and as you inferred), it gets pretty cold when vaporized. I said "pretty much" because its cooling effects have to be inferred rather than directly measured, since it gets delivered through the injectors, downstream of the air temperature sensor. I'm not sure if you're aware, but I always ran E85 and still had high air temp, but as said above, E85's benefits won't show up on an air temperature gauge located at the outlet of the intercooler.

Def

Postby Def » 31 Dec 2016, 19:52

The only temperature that matters is that of the air/fuel mixture being compressed during the compression stroke - and that's where E85 shines.

The detonation resistance of E85 is very high, higher than the octane rating would suggest (maybe that's what you're thinking of?). As detonation resistance is dependent on a bunch of factors, one of which being the temperature of the compressed air/fuel mixture.

Even E50 has *really* high detonation resistance. In fact, you'll hit MBT well before you get the fuel knocking on pretty much any turbo setup I've ever seen on the street. Once you get above that, the benefits of more ethanol really don't give you more detonation resistance, but it's kinda a moot point above that ~E50 level.

There was a real Delphi technical paper floating around years ago that detailed testing where E50 had the same knock resistance as E85 on a pretty stressed small displacement turbo engine, but it seems they've taken it down. :(

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 01 Jan 2017, 10:45

Which makes it all the more mysterious why my engine blew up, but I'm off topic.

Return to “Forced Induction”