Safety Gear

Prepping and driving your Midlana at an autocross or trackday event.
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Safety Gear

Postby Midlana1 » 21 Jan 2016, 07:40

After my brother and I finished building our most recent cars, we both realized that we'd created things in which we could get very seriously hurt. That's when we bit the bullet and invested in fire-proof suits, arm restraints, and a HANS. A "HANS" is a Head And Neck System, where a horse collar type mount is secured around the shoulders and held under the shoulder belts, with straps connected to the helmet. The idea is that in an accident, the straps limit how much the helmet can move, preventing the driver's head from being whipped side-to-side. My off at Willow Springs wasn't a big deal, then I went back and played the incident video frame-by-frame and was surprised by how much my helmet *tried* to move. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure it saved me from injuring my neck - I highly recommend it.

dpkilty
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Safety Gear

Postby dpkilty » 21 Jan 2016, 08:27

Even some of the "lesser" racing series ie Lemons and Chump Car require a HANs device now. Its getting close to where you might start seeing them being required at track days along with a helmet.

They are great pieces of equipment for sure.

Return to “Trackdays/Autocross”