Video gear

Prepping and driving your Midlana at an autocross or trackday event.
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Video gear

Postby Midlana1 » 07 Nov 2013, 19:39

So a buddy lent me his GoPro 2 for my next trackday thing. I was about to mark my GoPro so that there was no chance of getting the two mixed up, when it hit me that what I have was the original GoPro - doh! That explains why his video quality is so much better. So...

I can sell mine and upgrade to the GoPro 3, but am not impressed by the number of complaints about buggy operation, short battery life, and cost. Also, because the 3 is smaller, the motorsports kit I have now won't work. Because of this, and because my buddy's GoPro 2 video quality is plenty good, I'm tempted to buy two used GoPro 2s and a second motorsports kit, also used. So for about the same price as one GoPro 3 Black camera, I can have two cameras that have better battery life and "plenty-good" video quality for my needs.

(What's strange is that the frame rate and resolution between the Hero and Hero 2 is identical. I don't understand why the Hero 2 video is so much better looking... a different lens maybe?)

Haven't made up my mind yet which way to go.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: Video gear

Postby Midlana1 » 07 Jan 2015, 07:17

It's been more than a year and I got a GoPro 4 when it first came out in late 2014. The "black" model has 4K output, 120Hz 1080P, and that's about it. The next model down, the "white", doesn't have 4K output or 120Hz 1080P, but it does have a video monitor on the back of the body. That to me is far more useful than 4K that no one can currently watch, and it's $100 cheaper. Both come with remote phone apps which are surprisingly useful, so the Midlana videos you see are made with a GoPro 4 "white."

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 19 Jan 2016, 07:32

It's been over a year since I bought the GoPro 4 Silver. When it works it produces great video with reasonable sound (given that the microphone is inside the sealed enclosure). So it produces good video and has a good selection of mounts, and that's about it, because it's proven to be a buggy, inconsistent, and unreliable product.

- Sometimes when trying to turn it on, it acts absolutely dead, as if the battery is flat. Then, usually, it'll suddenly decide to start up as if nothing's wrong. I loaned the unit to a friend who returned it saying "the battery was dead." No, it was fully charged, it just decided to not power up that time.
- Sometimes, when you unplug it from the PC, it continues to show the USB symbol on its screen, locks up, and is impossible to power off without having to pull the battery.
- Sometimes when recording, the unit will stop recording, then may - or may not - start recording a new video. Oddly, this doesn't seem to happen due to hitting bumps on the road. When I had my big off at Willow Springs, it recorded the entire event without issue, but stopped and started recording other sessions seemingly at random.

All the above nonsense occurred with the latest firmware. It's the inconsistency that drives me nuts - if it had a consistently repeatable problem that would be one thing, but every time I use it there's about about an 80% chance it'll do something unpredictable. Either GoPro has chosen to be blind to the issues, doesn't understand what's going on, or doesn't know how to fix it. I can't understand why there's not more of an outcry from owners. For me it's just an annoyance, but imagine someone trying to record some extreme event that took months to setup, only to have the GoPro throw a tantrum. For the amount of money I've spend on their products, it doesn't paint a good picturs so I'm looking elsewhere.

I'm currently considering the Sony action cam but haven't looked into how adaptable it is to a tube frame car.

Other contenders are the AIM (dash manufacturer) "Smartycam", which allows overlaying logged data on the screen.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 10 Feb 2016, 07:34

As part of considering other video options, I recently came across the TraqMate. It's an attractive package, including camera, GPS system, video recording, and the best part, automatically overalays speed, rpm, track map, G forces, and a couple other inputs. The downside is that it's not markedly cheaper than AIM's solution, which is much more of a plug-and-play solution considering that I already use their dash system. For you guys using other dash solutions, it still might be applicable.

http://store.traqmate.com/Traqmate-Basic-HD-p/930021.htm

Return to “Trackdays/Autocross”