One Lap of America

Prepping and driving your Midlana at an autocross or trackday event.
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

One Lap of America

Post by Midlana1 » 15 May 2019, 08:10

My brother's pushing to do this, http://www.onelapofamerica.com/, but it doesn't sound fun to me.

Teams must have 2-4 members, and nearly all use “real” cars, where some can sleep while one drives (in good weather and bad, not in an open-top, noisy, windy, car, with no rain protection or wipers).

The schedule: https://www.onelapofamerica.com/current ... eventId=39
The events end at 3:30 or 4pm, and start at 8:30 the next morning, but the catch is, the tracks are 300-600 miles apart. So, that’s 7-13 hrs of driving between events, getting a motel room, and getting some sleep, you hope. You have only a 10-minute window to arrive at the next track on time. I'm guesssing that they do this to make it more challenging, but to me, it makes what could have been fun into a more grueling week of "hurry up, we're late", with zero time for anything else*.

Then there’s the logistics, getting the car to Indiana and back, 2150 miles each way, for starters. Take it on a trailer to the starting point, then drive the track car 3379 miles between events and hope that it doesn’t break (because the tow vehicle is now up to 500 miles away). There's also the need for the track car to have its own trailer, but if the car breaks down, both must be moved back to the original tow vehicle, on a long flatbed I suppose. Related to this, how is the track car and its trailer moved from the West coast to the Midwest? Maybe the track car's trailer goes in the pickup truck bed? Then there's parking the open car in questionable areas overnight.

It just doesn't sound like fun to me, and maybe I'm just being negative, thinking about being exhausted after what was supposed to be fun, yet facing a 2150 mile tow back home. I haven't talked to him about it yet, and he's certainly talking about his car instead of mine since he doesn't fit in mine. That doesn't change anything though since his car will have all the same issues.

The above negativity aside, I'm not against a road trip, just not one that makes it akin to Navy Seal's Hell Week. A more relaxed schedule is the difference, where any car problems can be dealt with on our own schedule, without frantic flailing of "OMG, now we're going to be late!" Maybe I'm just getting old.

Later, he sent me this photo of a participant as motivation... He's just not selling it. (As an aside, I wonder how much downforce the owner thinks he's getting with that rear wing, which is almost completely blocked by the tube frame and windscreen.)

*In a way, this is similar to people saying that they're going to build a car in six months. While it might happen, the harsh schedule and long hours will conspire to remove all the fun from it.