Streets of Willow Springs 2/20/2016

Prepping and driving your Midlana at an autocross or trackday event.
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Streets of Willow Springs 2/20/2016

Postby Midlana1 » 22 Jan 2016, 13:57

"If" this doesn't get rained out, I expect it to be a great event. Why? Two things:

1. Streets of Willow has a skidpad. I've been wanting to put Midlana on a skidpad for years because it's the fastest and safest way to quickly establish threshold handling. My brother took a BMW driving school years ago and he's told me several times the single biggest contributor to his driving skill was being put in a car on a skidpad and being told to go around the cones in a figure-8. The catch being, have the back end of the car hanging out the entire time. This was years before the whole drifting thing, but say what you will about drifting, but it's excellent at teaching car control. If you can smoothly keep the back of the car at a given angle around a turn, you're all set to handle the car in "real racing." No longer is the back end coming out a big deal, you know what to expect, know what to do, and know how to put it where you want.

2. If my brother's right about the rear suspension bottoming, that'll be dealt with before the event, so when Midlana arrives, the whole thing about being afraid of getting the back end out "should" be gone. We'll see.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: Streets of Willow Springs 2/20/2016

Postby Midlana1 » 11 Feb 2016, 13:34

As an update, the higher-rate springs were swapped in and a test drive was promising.

Weather shows it'll be clear though it's at the limit of the 10-day forecast, fingers-crossed that rain doesn't move in because it's shown for the preceding Wednesday and Thursday. Friday I tow the car up, so it's close.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 17 Feb 2016, 08:57

Looks like it's a go regarding the weather, plus the latest test drives have been very encouraging, with the car not once stepping out ("uncommanded") like before.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby freakynami » 20 Feb 2016, 01:39

Good luck! Hope all goes well today :)

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 20 Feb 2016, 18:31

Looks like I threw a rod, first time ever for me. Very sudden and happened when I was right behind a Porsche GT3. I'll do a full writeup tomorrow but summed up, I'm very puzzled as to why this happened.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby freakynami » 20 Feb 2016, 19:21

Oh crap, I'm surprised too, you have always erred on the side of engine longevity. Hope you find out the root cause so you can move forward without fear...

Return to “Trackdays/Autocross”