Nissan SR20 FWD Drivetrain

Which drivetrain to choose, so many choices, 4-cyl? 6-cyl? NA? Turbo?
I1985
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Nissan SR20 FWD Drivetrain

Postby I1985 » 25 Dec 2014, 01:50

Kurt, (and others of course)

Just finished the Kimini book and now steaming through Midlana. And you have some excellent drivetrain suggestions in both, I do wonder though, did you at any point look into the Nissan SR20 drivetrain?

Over here in Europe it's commonly found in the Nissan Primera, badged as a Infinity G20 in the US I believe. Although standard hp is only around 140, with some simple alternations (some of which will be needed anyway) like headers, intake manifold, air filter, camshaft, flywheel, etc. N/A power of around 175 hp isn't hard to achieve. Normal N/A this engine with some headwork etc. should be good for about 190hp. Although racers (namely BTCC in the '90) managed over 300hp N/A, it costed them a lot of money, and they lost a lot of the reliability.

But the beauty of this engine is, that it was designed as a turbocharged engine. Originally in the late '80 for the Nissan Bluebird with an AWD trans. Some years later this engine found its way into the 200SX/Silvia but now in a RWD config. Although the engines were changed a bit for this RWD install, the basics and by far the most internals are the same and/or exchangeable. Although they have a very mild tune of the factory line, they're said to be pretty reliable up to about 450-500hp on stock internals. So only changing exhaust, turbo, etc. With a completely build engine there are figures going round that just over 1000hp is achievable.

So my thought is now, as the non turbo SR20DE is plentiful here in by now kinda ageing Nissan Primera's around here. To start of with that, mild N/A tune maybe and get it on the road like that (partly due to a one time tax system to get it legal, based on CO2 emission, partly to keep it affordable build in general). And if/when needed/wanted either switch it for a bluebird/sunny (pulsar) SR20DET engine and either turbo or supercharge it, or buy a second SR20DE and turn it into a suitable charged engine.

Any thoughts on this?

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: Nissan SR20 FWD Drivetrain

Postby Midlana1 » 25 Dec 2014, 09:13

No I didn't, mostly because I wanted to "go large" to prove that Midlana could fit and handle a high-power engine. While vaguely aware of the SR20, had the turbo version been available here I'd have been all over it since it's reportedly very reliable and capable of all sorts of power just by upping the boost. I get what you're saying and it's a very reasonable engine choice in your area. If I'd gone with the non-turbo version I'd have to deal with getting the turbo parts to convert it. Alas, I chose to pass it up because I didn't want to deal with finding non-existent parts - not so much when it would break near home, but if it failed far away. The idea for Midlana was that I could get anything I need to fix it at a NAPA store.

I1985

Re: Nissan SR20 FWD Drivetrain

Postby I1985 » 25 Dec 2014, 14:20

I completely understand your choice for a more common engine in your part of the world. And going large to prove it fits. Your car is pretty much the showcase of what's possible with the concept, and rightly so.

Return to “Drivetrain selection”