locost rear engine modify? vr6 engines? NZ

Which drivetrain to choose, so many choices, 4-cyl? 6-cyl? NA? Turbo?
gdz1la
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

locost rear engine modify? vr6 engines? NZ

Postby gdz1la » 08 Feb 2013, 15:02

Hi there im considering modifying my homebuilt lotus to mid engine (front engine and box almost had it) and basic & bujet live axel rear end,
considering
h22 hondas: exh heat may be an issue, and can be pricey, any idea on engine & box weights?
vr6 golfs as they seam pretty cheap here in nz and seam very tuneable, any thoughts is it to how heavy they are?

have also considered smaller 1000-1600cc 4cyl options with additional turbo added.

can easily move seats& cockpit forward remove gearbox tunnel, etc, much cheaper than starting fresh. old rad may still work with long pipes,

every man and his dog has a lotus rep clubcar, mid engined vr6 turbo would be very unique, but would it need wheelie bars?

gdz1la

Re: locost rear engine modify? vr6 engines? NZ

Postby gdz1la » 08 Feb 2013, 15:23

just noticed after registering it opens more topics,
I see the k24 is available here in nz, and looks easy to turbo, without an i/c may be an issue but less than 10lb on av gas may be fine?
whats a k24 & 5speed weigh, and is that a good weight balance?

gofastpooppants

Postby gofastpooppants » 07 Apr 2014, 20:52

Well this is an old thread. I'm interested in it though because my daily driver is a 12v vr6 jetta (so I already have a donor engine!). This is the exact engine I have had in mind for a mid engine locost, although I it is slightly bigger than the honda engines. "Block weighs about 100lbs, head weighs 40lbs, I would add 100lbs for the crank, rods, pistons, oil pan and pump, and another 100 for all other accessories, plus 80 for the tranny. Grand total = 420lbs."
That weight doesn't seem to bad to me, although that is not including turbo parts.
I think there are several advantages I could see from a vr6 candidate:
-They are very stout engines (originally designed as a diesel, compact six cylinder, aluminum head, high quality bearings were used, etc.)
-They have a very strong performance following, both turbo and N/A. Power parts are relatively cheap compared to most other engine builds.
-Turbo is a very attractive addition that is possible...used turbo kits can be found easily on vwvortex. Or piece one together. 400hp is fairly easy to achieve.
-LSDs are already available for the 02A transmissions, of which there are several different gear ratios available.
-Reasonably cheap maintenance parts
-Reliable
-Sound crazy good
-I already am familiar with the engine
-Probably other stuff as well.

I was just curious if anyone had any thoughts on this engine choice. I've been keen to build a car for a couple years now, I graduate college in May and perhaps if I can find a place to live with a garage in the next couple years, these ideas could become reality :)

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 07 Apr 2014, 21:09

You forgot the most important reason - they sound awesome!

Don't know if you have my book, but I do discuss the engine a bit. My biggest concern is the total drivetrain weight, and while I see the numbers you listed, do you have any hard numbers for an entire drivetrain? Doing it over, I admit I'm drawn to it, but at this point I'm too far down the road to be changing things (read: too expensive).

gofastpooppants

Postby gofastpooppants » 09 Apr 2014, 12:39

They do sound wicked!
I took a few minutes and measured the vr6 in my daily...it fits within the dimensions you've listed, so that is another plus.
As far as hard numbers for the weight...I'm having a hard time finding any. People over the net are claiming as low as 400 up to 600. Might be because people are estimating or may not be including accessories or whatever. I'm thinking the weight is somewhere between 400-500 pounds. I have to look further into it.
I don't have the book, but I am quite tempted to purchase it now even though I am still probably a couple years away from even having a place in which to build it. Perhaps it won't be years from now, but I first have to finish up this last semester and find a job. Priorities!

Return to “Drivetrain selection”