Engine choices

Which drivetrain to choose, so many choices, 4-cyl? 6-cyl? NA? Turbo?
Marcus
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Engine choices

Postby Marcus » 17 Jan 2011, 09:27

I have an Olds Toronado somewhere in the weeds out back. It's the 7.5L with a THM425 transaxle. I'm not sure if I can clear brush to get to it or maybe just dynamite it to get it closer to the back yard and then drag it with a tractor. Would this fit?

Just posted this because I don't know why everyone going to locostusa wants to use a V8... I guess I should just be glad we haven't got the Allison V12 crowd...

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 17 Jan 2011, 10:05

I looked at a Toronado back when I was looking for a radiator for Kimini in a wrecking yard - that assembly is big! For those who don't know, it's a 455 big-block, but FWD from back in the 1960's. They used a huge bellhousing and ran a chain from the engine over to the gearbox. Just amazing, and looked like it weighed about 1000 lbs, and I bet that's pretty close, really.

Jagmandave

Postby Jagmandave » 17 Jan 2011, 13:37

If you want a compact V-8 front drive assembly, Chevrolet built that a couple of years ago - the Impala was it?

300 hp stock, 5 speed auto gearbox - and has to be a fairly lightweight package, given the front wheel drive.....it even has the variable cyclinder shut down feature to improve fuel mileage. 2007 - 2009 if you go looking for one....

Marcus

Postby Marcus » 17 Jan 2011, 21:15

No, I was just complaining because everyone seems to want a V8 in their locost seven this days. Kurt seems to have found a magic formula away from that - and look now you actually came up with something that's just a bad idea instead of a *really, really bad idea*. I haven't read thru all the pages in this thread yet but would lean to a Duratech. Light and happy in the 150-200 HP range without any real effort. Cheap and common also. For these size cars 200 seems like more then enough HP. That's just me. If that doesn't provide enough thrills, you can just learn to drive faster! :)

I need a light car because used to be when I was pushing it around the pits, I would occasionally run over my foot and pin myself under it. If it was a V8 it would hurt more and the laughing would last longer!

Jagmandave

Postby Jagmandave » 18 Jan 2011, 11:59

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yep, I agree this is more of a 4 cyl design, the way I envision it - and I agree with Kurts idea of a turbo too.

Duratecs are plentiful and should be cheap - good motor too - so is the 4 cyl Zetec, again available in a 170 hp non turbo version.

But if someone wanted the sound and torque of a V-8, that Impala SS has to be an interesting way to go - further research reveals it's an aluminum block motor, and very underated on HP because of the front wheel drive.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 18 Jan 2011, 13:40

The engine bay can always be stretched to accomodate just about anything - though once it does, the car kind of heads off down a trail of its own. It's not good or bad, just different.

Yesterday I learned that Ford is about to start selling F150 trucks with, get this, a twin-turbo V6, with 340hp or so, 420 ft-lb of torque, and direct injection. Supposed to get better mileage than the V8, though I wonder about long-term reliability, though there's this, http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/01/what-the-inside-of-a-torture-tested-ecoboost-v-6-looks-like.html.

WickedOne

Postby WickedOne » 19 Jan 2011, 13:40

I believe this thread is about the same engine.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/ ... 812/page1/

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 19 Jan 2011, 13:49

Yeah I'm in that... a bunch of thrashing about but not too informative other than the link in the first post. Personally, I'm skeptical that a twin-turbo direct-injection engine can be more reliable (and cost less to maintain) than a V8, and I wonder what it weighs. Granted, it'll be slightly shorter, but likely wider due to the turbos. And with the exhaust plumbing and turbos, how much lighter can it be? Still, just saying you've got that in your car counts for a lot ;) Apparently, a sister engine is in the SHO Taurus, so the FWD issues is already solved, but no doubt it's very expensive right now.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » 19 Jan 2011, 21:19

Just going to say that at some level I don't get the high horsepower need. I guess I'm a little fortunate that some of the North East courses don't have really long straights. If your average guy actually thinks they are Mario Andretti, well they are just wrong. Having a car with high drag and roughly 200 ish HP is a good place to be. You can make a lot of mistakes or be the brunt of other's mistakes and get up and walk away. You can still walk and still have a wallet.

There's plenty of thrills to be had at the level I'm talking about. You still have a good chance at getting the fastest time of day, the difference is you have to actually learn to drive it. If your putting in a big motor just to scare yourself and get thrills that way, well these things make bad roller coasters because they are not on rails. Likely you will never learn to drive it well because you will never need to. or even desire to, reach deep enough to actually put it thru a corner at high speed near the limit. At some point you are depriving yourself of the pleasure to master the car if it's built to the point that it would actually require a Mario Andretti.

Hesitating to post this, but just want to say it to the average builder still sitting in their armchair. Take that GRX and just bury it out back again. :)

Gforcefd

Postby Gforcefd » 21 Jan 2011, 06:26

Read through all 17 pages of this before asking.

I want to use my Mazda KLDE v6 (2.5L) with 5 spd transmission. The big issue I see so far is that it has a shifter rod instead of cables. Has anyone started a thread exploring this, and if so where is it so I can read and put my nerves at rest :D .

I plan on going out and measuring everything tonight but I still haven't located exact engine bay measurements. I think I saw it on one page in here but wasn't sure if those were correct. They were 45"wx24"hx20"D.

Return to “Drivetrain selection”