Engine choices

Which drivetrain to choose, so many choices, 4-cyl? 6-cyl? NA? Turbo?
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Engine choices

Postby Midlana1 » 21 Jan 2011, 11:19

Engine sizes (and especially weights) found on the Interweb are notoriously inaccurate. In addition, the source of that data need to show exactly how the drivetrain was measured. For fore-aft depth, are they counting the differential bulge out the back of the transmission or not? To answer your question, lengthening the car will move weight distribution toward 50/50, not away from it, so that's not a bad thing. A longer wheelbase will obviously turn slightly slower, but what "slower" means depends on what it'll be used for. Autocross times would be hurt by it, trackday times might even be aided as it would be more stable at high speed. It's all a big subjective balancing act that's virtually impossible to get exactly right. Oh, and yes, the seats can be moved forward some. About the fuel tank, no problem there, as it's located entirely ahead of the main rollhoop.

Gforcefd

Postby Gforcefd » 21 Jan 2011, 11:44

I guess I didn't delete that previous post soon enough, it all sounded like rambling when I read it again and got rid of it. haha.

I plan on doing my own measurements when I get home but looking at that shot on your build log that you took of the car on a ladder looking down at it from the back, I am not too worried about the fitment. For some reason I though Honda's had their transmission on the opposite side compared to other FWD, but mine is the same orientation, just spins different direction I guess. From the way the wheel base look the transmission will sit aft of the main mass of the transmission and it may fit right in there. I worry about being able to get the drive-train in and out, but I will have to wait for the book to see some more detailed drawings.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 21 Jan 2011, 16:09

Most Hondas sping "the right way" (CW), so the engine's on the right-hand side. However there are a few that are opposite, such as the H22A (and at least one more I don't recall.) It doesn't matter, either will work, and there's advantages to both. You know that the drivetrain when installed in Midlana, is left in the same orientation as it is in the donor car, right?

Gforcefd

Postby Gforcefd » 21 Jan 2011, 18:17

Of course or you would be driving backwards. That is why I am worried about the shift linkage in my KLDE since it uses a rod instead of cables. Been looking all day on google for a good example of a box that converts the rods motion into cable movements (if that makes any sense).

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 21 Jan 2011, 18:22

I'd say subsitute push-pull cables for the rods. If that's not possible, use rocker-arms to translate from rods to push-pull cables.

Gforcefd

Postby Gforcefd » 22 Jan 2011, 15:15

Confirmed shift linkage instead of cables. Measuresments are as follows:

KLDE with KLZE heads Mazda 2.5L v6 + G5MR 5 spd transmission

Length (passenger engine mount to 5th gear cover on transmission): 36"
Width (farthest overhanging part towards firewall to front headers) 26"+
Depth (about) 24"

I couldn't get under the car to make a exact measurement for depth so this is a rough measure for sure. This also matches up with what I found online as well. The car has pretty good clearance for engine cross member. I am thinking the engine will fit but the top of my engine bay cover in the midlana would have to be bubbled up for clearance. I really like this engine because stock KLDE put out about 170 horsepower and with the KLZE heads, intake, and probinator ecu chip I might have 180. Not sure on torque numbers but these engines are known for their torque. The 626 it is currently in is pretty darn fast and weighs in at 2800 lbs, I can't imagine this drivetrain in a car that weighs 1300lbs less.

The width does seem much but like I said before due to the shape of the engine I still think I can make it work. Another thing I like is I can swap in a Ford Festiva 5th gear and get extremely good MPG cruising down the highway. I only need the first 2-3 gears for autoX :).

Logan
Ithaca, NY

JPG

Postby JPG » 29 Mar 2011, 15:19

Hi Guys,

Has anyone considered a Dodge SRT-4 engine?

I don't know much about these engines, but from my research so far its an appealing option:

Factory equipped turbocharged engine
Intake at firewall like the K20
Transmission is cable operated and comes equipped with a LSD

JPG

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 29 Mar 2011, 15:41

That was an engine on my list but I went with the Honda only out of familiarity. I agree with you it seems like a natural, and that's a big reason why I left the engine compartment open, so builders can use engines they have or are familiar with.

JPG

Postby JPG » 18 Jun 2011, 10:05

2009 Ecotec 2.2 VVT

130 +/-4 kg (286 +/- 10 lbs), alternator missing

This engine is heavier than I expected.

The automatic transmission that it was bolted to is relatively heavy as well at 74 +/-4 kg (160 +/- 10 lbs), without the torque converter.

I hope the manual transmission is lighter.

JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 20 Jun 2011, 11:43

Hah, yeah, ALL engines are heavier than we want. I think it's a combination of wishful thinking and and disinformation on the Interweb.

Return to “Drivetrain selection”