6 speed shifter reverse lockout?

Which drivetrain to choose, so many choices, 4-cyl? 6-cyl? NA? Turbo?
Def
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

6 speed shifter reverse lockout?

Postby Def » 14 Feb 2017, 12:16

Many Japanese cars with 6 speeds put reverse past the 5-6 gate, and use a lockout plate to prevent accidental selection during normal driving. Typically the shifter is pushed down and then the reverse gate can be selected.

Here's a pic of the lockout plate on a 350Z shifter:

Since 6 speeds are fairly common now, anybody have any ideas on how an easy to implement reverse lockout can be incorporated with the book shifter design or something close to it?

I was thinking maybe a manual stopper to prevent the gate selector lever from going down farther, and you could manually flip it out when you wanted reverse. Not the quickest thing, but shouldn't be that hard. Or even something electric with a switch on the dash that released a solenoid and allowed the lockout plate to move. Just high level ideas right now, so be gentle on the brainstorming. :)

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: 6 speed shifter reverse lockout?

Postby Midlana1 » 14 Feb 2017, 13:03

I vote for something where when you want to move into reverse, there's a lever or collar within reach of your fingers while your hand's on the shifter.

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 14 Feb 2017, 14:42

I vote gated shifter ala Ferrari with a lockout tab.
Bill J

steveo

Postby steveo » 15 Feb 2017, 04:02

I was going the same way - plate with a lockout tab/slider. While not the most elegant, nice and simple!

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 15 Feb 2017, 08:27

The Subaru lockout is a sleeve on the bottom of the shift knob you pull up when moving to the side. Just food for thought.

Def

Postby Def » 15 Feb 2017, 13:56

I need to take a look at the sleeve lift up method, as I've seen that too. Could be pretty easy to implement and operate with one hand on the shifter.

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 15 Feb 2017, 16:21

Might also have a look at the "EMPI" shifter for VW Beetles (the old ones). Nice ring you pull up with one finger when going into reverse, probably works similarly to the sleeve method.
Bill J

Langan

Postby Langan » 21 Feb 2017, 19:30

If you need a shifter I have one. You can look at barrow or have. Empi or Jamar

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 24 Apr 2017, 01:14

I used the lifting sleeve method(!) when fitting an Alfa 6 speed into my last car. Same deal, reverse was past 5-6. I know folk who fitted the same gearbox and didn't bother with the lockout. They assured me it was fine, even when used in anger, but I'm paranoid! The actual shifter was from an MR2 although somewhat modified.

As I'm using the Alfa engine in my Midlana, I can use the Lister Bell gear linkage/shifter setup with uses the OEM stick assembly so the lockout is already there. The Alfa is one of their engines of choice so I've made use of a few bits from there.

Return to “Drivetrain selection”