Putting a complete body on Midlana

External options and variations: rear end mods, side vents, doors, cage mods, wings(!), etc.
Dai1983
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Putting a complete body on Midlana

Postby Dai1983 » 13 Feb 2016, 06:16

The Porsche 909 Bergspyder also looks pretty nice too. The rear body is quite flat for ease of replicating but here in the Uk it would probably need to cover the rear wheels and engine a bit better.

Alfalfameister

Postby Alfalfameister » 07 Mar 2017, 04:33

Sorry for the BUMP...

I re-read the FAQ on body options (Locost-look is easier and cheaper, and Kimini's body was a pain to keep immaculate and all that).

What I don't want to do is put a body on a Midlana that already has body panels -- that would be like two bodies, and having two bodies are not helping with the weight reduction. Are any of the body panels contributing to chassis rigidity and strength?

Being in the Philippines where labor is cheap, and I know a guy who does good fiberglass work (saves me from doing the work), am thinking of a more streamlined body. Maybe even covering the front wheels. Even Bill in his current thread (http://www.midlana.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=776&start=10) is considering that A-Mac D Sports Racer body:

---------------------------------------------

So, I already have a Locost (just finished, yay!)

(the white one is mine)

Anyway, when you hit about 150-160 kph (about 100 mph), you realize what everybody says: the Locost is an aerodynamic brick.

But, since I already have a Locost, I want a mid-engine car that doesn't necessarily have to look like a Seven (think of Midlana's "competition" like La Bala or something. Or even that Goblin. Or that Ultima Sports car. And those Coopers, Lotus 23/19s, Porsches, etc).

What body panels must remain (contribute to chassis strength and rigidity)? I am certain my fiberglass guy can do great bodywork from scratch, working around the roll cage (a must for me, being a family man) and making it streamlined and all.

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 07 Mar 2017, 06:53

IME the aluminum side panels add rigidity to the chassis and should be kept. Most of your older tube frame sports racers panel the exterior or interior side of the chassis, both to add strength and to keep (some) of the rocks out. You'd be simply amazed at how much gravel you clean out of a car after one session on track. On a road car where you're driving more than 20-30 minutes at a time, I'd say it's even more important.

Where in the Phils are you at? My wife is from Albay (about 30-40km from Legazpi).
Bill J

stankoprowski
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby stankoprowski » 07 Mar 2017, 08:27

Dai1983 wrote:The Porsche 909 Bergspyder also looks pretty nice too. The rear body is quite flat for ease of replicating but here in the Uk it would probably need to cover the rear wheels and engine a bit better.

Possibly my most favorite engineering project ever.

jerelw

Postby jerelw » 08 Mar 2017, 09:45

How about a Factory Five 818 body? Already mid-engined and available in three versions - coupe, spider and race/spider. Might have to bubble over the engine; the body was designed for a boxer 4.

Alfalfameister

Postby Alfalfameister » 09 Mar 2017, 03:43

I love the look of that Factory Five 818. Very nice! Thanks!

I'll refer my fiberglass maker to this thread (and/or just show pics). He'll tell me if he can do it or not.

Probably what I would like is to have something like "panels" in the sense that if something gets damaged, it can easily be replaced (not change the whole thing). Or have the ability to make localized repairs.

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 09 Mar 2017, 03:47

jerelw wrote:How about a Factory Five 818 body? Already mid-engined and available in three versions - coupe, spider and race/spider. Might have to bubble over the engine; the body was designed for a boxer 4.

Not to sound too condescending, but the 818 bodies don't fit the 818's very well... I have a good friend building one. He's said he might as well started from scratch as everything needed to be redone, from chassis tubes to body panel gaps. Sad really.

It would be way more work trying to adapt the panels from the 818 than it would be to make your own.

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 09 Mar 2017, 07:25

dpkilty wrote:
jerelw wrote:How about a Factory Five 818 body? Already mid-engined and available in three versions - coupe, spider and race/spider. Might have to bubble over the engine; the body was designed for a boxer 4.

Not to sound too condescending, but the 818 bodies don't fit the 818's very well... I have a good friend building one. He's said he might as well started from scratch as everything needed to be redone, from chassis tubes to body panel gaps. Sad really.

It would be way more work trying to adapt the panels from the 818 than it would be to make your own.

Ya, the reason I'm even considering modifying a body rather than working from scratch is that I'm basically getting it for free. If I had to pay several thousand dollars (which I'm sure FF charges for an 818 body, assuming they'll sell you one), I'd just start from scratch.
Bill J

Return to “Body mods and options”