Radiator Vents

External options and variations: rear end mods, side vents, doors, cage mods, wings(!), etc.
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Radiator Vents

Postby Midlana1 » 17 Jul 2011, 17:52

Yes, and it'll be fairly easy to do, but it was pointed out to me that the actual temperature rise through the radiator core won't be much. However, since it's essentially "free" heat it seems like a good idea to have anyway. 10-15 deg warmer air is better than nothing, especially if it doesn't require hoses, a radiator, and fan to achieve.

Jagmandave

Postby Jagmandave » 18 Jul 2011, 09:32

Hey, when I drive my tractor with the hood off, I can always tell when the thermostat opens - and the temp diff seems a lot more than 10 or 20*! Especially if I'm working it! :mrgreen:

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 18 Jul 2011, 09:55

Good! Hopefully, the air pressure inside the passenger area will be lower than the pressure at the radiator outlet, helping to draw air into the footwells. I'm thinking that it will be, given how air in a Locost tends to whip around the sides of the windscreen into the occupants' faces...

It's just a matter of rigging up some doors with cables... shouldn't be hard, though that's a bit down the road.

Greg_OR
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby Greg_OR » 18 Jul 2011, 15:04

or you end up with purple nose for cold and boots off for hot ;) ... just kidding

Back to side vents - will you have any possibility to check their effectiveness somehow? ie by taking them off or mounting last (after some test drive to compare).
As I don't like much they look I wonder if leaving just empty space or using mesh would have significant impact on airflow.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 18 Jul 2011, 15:15

Understood, so much about car stuff is personal preference, and is one reason why you're making your own car!

They'll be easily-removable - they have to be to access the inboard A-arm mounts. So yes, it'll be easy to compare airflow, but to answer your question regarding mesh, it's all about how fine a weave it is as to its effect on the air. Keep in mind that it's not as simple as "% open space" that the spec sheets give because the fluid dynamics of the air (like water) shows that it has trouble going around objects. The short story is that the amount of air that'll get through is around 1/2 the %-open spec, so it's easy to end up with mesh that looks nice but kills airflow. The more open the better, flow-wise.

jannypan

Postby jannypan » 27 Jul 2011, 22:17

I do like the way Donkervoort do them. ah well maybe I'll run a combination of both top and sidevents.... if I ever get round to actually building something...

Return to “Body mods and options”