The top/side window thread

External options and variations: rear end mods, side vents, doors, cage mods, wings(!), etc.
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

The top/side window thread

Postby Midlana1 » 26 Mar 2009, 13:00

I plan on having a top for (hopefully) longer trips. Depending how well the windscreen/side wind deflectors work, I'd at least like the option of not being beat on by the wind. Then there's September, where around here (Southern California) it's 100 deg+ for several weeks. A top would be nice (minus doors) to avoid cooking in stop-and-go traffic.

For now the plan is to have snaps around the windscreen frame, then either snaps or bungy cords holding it tight to the main hoop. While it does look nice to leave the fabric long, pulling it down to the rear corners of the car (bikini top), I'm concerned it'll trap noise and fumes from the engine, causing both to circulate forward into the passenger compartment.

ekim952522000
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Re: The top/side window thread

Postby ekim952522000 » 26 Mar 2009, 15:37

Won't the X in the roof make it very challenging to make a snap on top and side windows? Although I would LOVE if that was a option.
Mike Uhlinger
Midlana Beta Builder
Northern California

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 02 Jun 2009, 18:24

Here's a source for where to get the little snap-on fasteners for attaching a fabric top: http://www.sailrite.com/Categories/Pull-It-Up-Fasteners

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 02 Jun 2009, 18:26

ekim952522000 wrote:Won't the X in the roof make it very challenging to make a snap on top and side windows? Although I would LOVE if that was a option.

I don't think so, but than again I've spent about zero time thinking about it. Seems to me the more tubes the easier it is to just attach little tabs with snaps on them.

John

Re: Color combinations

Postby John » 17 Nov 2010, 17:42

It could look pretty mean with a soft top too.
IMG_2601 gray headlights lime green fender soft top.jpg

The bands at the back that cover the frame are realy just for apearances and could be eliminated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John on 18 Nov 2010, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 17 Nov 2010, 19:58

I imagine unless those tails are really tight they may flap, but I do agree they look much better being there than not.

John

Postby John » 18 Nov 2010, 14:21

The front edges of the tails could be clipped to the braces. The edges by the cabin could be stiffened with carbon rods sewn into pockets in the sides of the hood. I also thought that if the front edge above the windscreen could be adequately stiffened the same way and the front held down with corner clips a person could get in and out by releasing a corner clip and folding the hood across its diagonal (approximating the line of one of the top braces). Once in the top would be re-clipped at the corner. Stowing the hood would involve folding the side stiffeners to lay along the front stiffener and then rolling the lot up to form a roll basically as long as the front of the wind screen is wide. This might make it too large to stow onboard the car. I don’t know. A one way hinge in the front stiffener could allow it to be folded smaller. A lexan screen on the rear hoop of the roll cage and doors hinged on the front pillars would complete the enclosure.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 19 Nov 2010, 06:35

You've thought that through pretty well. It can be stored in back, behind the drivetrain, as long as it doesn't get baked too much. Between the top, windows, and a drop-down clear panel behind the seats, we can end up with a surprisingly civilized car, one that's still easy to get in and out of.

pantsman

Postby pantsman » 29 May 2012, 15:46

While my build is not even close to being started, I have been using all spare brain power to figure out a full body in the style of Morgan mixed with Lotus 7 looks.

John

Postby John » 10 Jun 2013, 18:47

A bit of lateral thinking re the buffeting and intake noise. Could you put a lexan screen across the rear roll over hoop? Sort of put a back window on the passenger compartment. I imagine the wind is coming around the windscreen side across where you are sitting and out through the rear roll over hoop hitting you in the left ear on the way through. Blocking that path should create a calm zone in the passenger compartment. It would be quite easy to experiment with a piece of cheap board. This would also have the effect of putting a barrier between you and the intake. Killing two birds with one stone and not hindering your getting in and out of the car.

Return to “Body mods and options”