Have a shape in mind but how much of donor car to use?

External options and variations: rear end mods, side vents, doors, cage mods, wings(!), etc.
DennisDoesEverything
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Have a shape in mind but how much of donor car to use?

Postby DennisDoesEverything » 27 Aug 2018, 11:49

So, I know where I want to go but I'm not sure the best way to get there. My goal is to build something that is shaped like a Honda Prelude, but has the skeleton of a Midlana. Hoodline of a 3rd gen Prelude (which has a crazy low hood line anyway), but from the A-pillars back will probably have to be convertible + roll cage to ensure engine access.

I have a complete 89 Prelude rolling shell, and the front end parts (to hold the mid engine) from a 99 Prelude, and an H22A4 engine and transmission. My plan is to use 99 Prelude front suspension parts in back, and the 89 front suspension parts in front. At some point I will probably get an air ride suspension kit for it to make this strange setup work vis a vis spring rates.

I've also got a "sleigh" consisting of the firewall (footwells) and floor which was left over after cutting the front suspension mounts and shock towers off the 5th gen (99) donor Prelude. (I also cut off the roof and cut the back off the car.) It is what I was going to use for the people compartment of the build before the 3rd gen rolling shell came up.

Getting that 89 Prelude rolling shell threw a monkey wrench into my plans however. My dilemma is how much of the 89 Prelude donor car to use. The options range all the way from none and just using the car as a plug for a fiberglass body mold, to using the whole car and just welding the engine and suspension mounts in the back. Or leave it 50% 3rd gen Prelude from the A-pillars forward, and 50% Midlana from the A pillars back.

It has me thinking deeply about what I want to build and why, and whether to shoot for the stars or look for the easiest route. However I tend to be the kind of person who does things just because, so asking why usually leads me to shrug my shoulders ("because I could, I guess").

DennisDoesEverything
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Have a shape in mind but how much of donor car to use?

Postby DennisDoesEverything » 27 Aug 2018, 11:51

P. S. I also have a 4th gen (96) Prelude that I can't decide whether to restore or donate to the project. I might be going for how many years of different Preludes can you amalgamate into one project. Sort of like the Honda version of the "Psycho-Billy Cadillac" from the Johnny Cash song.

Return to “Body mods and options”