Oil filter orientation.

Issues, solutions, helpful hints, shortcuts, tools, etc
ChrisS
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Oil filter orientation.

Postby ChrisS » 21 Jul 2018, 13:20

Does anyone have any experience of, or an opinion on, installing the oil filter inverted?

The filter I’m using has a non return valve in it, and once the lines are full, I can’t see it draining back all that badly, but it just feels like bad practice. That said, I’ve seen Ferrari engines with inverted filters before now.

In case it helps deliberations, the filter head will be above the level where the hoses connect to the block. The location is pretty much set, the main question I want to answer is whether to have the thing inverted or not. Inverted will make for easier oil filter swaps and will package a bit better, hence the thought.

TFL

rennkafer

Re: Oil filter orientation.

Postby rennkafer » 23 Jul 2018, 07:00

I wouldn't put it inverted unless you don't have a choice. IME even the systems designed to be run that way (including those older Ferrari's which I've worked on, and my GTI), tend to be messy at oil change time. There's always some oil in the filter and it tends to want to get on everything. You also can't prefill the filter on oil changes, which I prefer to do whenever possible.

Just my experience with them.
Bill J

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 23 Jul 2018, 08:57

Early Mazda rotary engines are that way, with the filter open-end down. As said, it makes a big mess when removed, and you can't prefill them. I vote for bottom end up.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 23 Jul 2018, 09:51

Thanks chaps. Squares with my thoughts too, sadly :)

Hole upwards it is.....

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 23 Jul 2018, 16:27

Midlana1 wrote:Early Mazda rotary engines are that way, with the filter open-end down. As said, it makes a big mess when removed, and you can't prefill them. I vote for bottom end up.

And the starter on top... that's how I learned not to wear jewelry when working on cars. Burn scars lasted about 20 years.
Bill J

Return to “General Build Discussion”