Suspension Parts List

Issues, solutions, helpful hints, shortcuts, tools, etc
steveo
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Suspension Parts List

Postby steveo » 13 Feb 2017, 17:11

Yeah that's the puppy and 0.065" is what the good book doth pronounce.

Share that spreadsheet! See if you can make an engineer of me. I've spent my life in software so I have no idea what real engineering is. :lol:

Def

Postby Def » 14 Feb 2017, 09:04

Here's the link to view: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I'm not sure you guys will be able to play with it, maybe you can copy it to your google drive then edit it? If I allow others to edit, it could get trashed in short order.

The equation is easy enough to duplicate, and second moment area of inertia of a round tube is 3.14/64*(OD^4-ID^4).

One thing I'm a bit worried about is the "rounded-rounded" end condition assumes you have an infinitely rigid structure that keeps the tube ends (that are free to rotate) in alignment as it buckles. I'm not sure we quite meet that end condition in an actual situation of thousands of pounds. Fixed/free is only 0.25 (i.e. 1/4 the load capacity of rounded/rounded configuration), so I'm not sure if there's sufficient safety factor in that end condition, or maybe we should reduce it to around 0.5-0.75ish for more safety.

I also didn't know the length of the pushrod off the top of my head, so I guessed 20" for being conservative. Anybody know that? Probably center to center of the rod end is the best length to use.

I can make another thread on this if it's of interest.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 15 Feb 2017, 08:13

Thank you very much for producing this list. I haven't commented because, well, I'm a bit embarrassed since it's something I should have created and put in the book. There was just so much stuff going on and I was tired of working on the book and wanted it "done", so out it went without the list. Of course, once your list is completely finished there's no reason that it couldn't go into the 3rd edition :).

steveo

Postby steveo » 15 Feb 2017, 09:25

My pleasure!

Don't see why you should be embarrassed. A lot of the list depends on your personal choices anyway, whether you go in-board or outboard, ball joint or spherical bearing, how much you follow the book, etc.etc. so frankly not sure you even could put a table in the book, certainly not one that references specific parts from McGill, FK, MWC, QA1 or whoever. So trying to do all the variances would probably be a thankless task anyway.

For instance, I've just done another version which swaps all the 1/2"-20 threads for 5/8"-18 threads to give a "beefier" suspension. This came about after realizing that MWC had a 1"- 0.083" wall bung for a 5/8-18 thread, and the 1/4" difference in girth, while adding quite a bit of weight, also made all the joints much more substantial. That of course requires swapping the rod-ends as well, but retaining the 1/2" bore.

And that's what I just ordered. Got the joints from McGill and the bungs from MWC. Must say their range of bungs is tremendous, but sadly their range of rod ends while huge, doesn't go very far up the quality scale.

What was also interesting to notice was that the McGill XMRxx joints have IDENTICAL specifications to the QA1 XMRxx range. I mean to the letter! Hmmmm! Deeply suspicious that they're exactly the same thing, but cheaper, especially if like me you drop by the UK on a fairly regular basis to pick them up from your dear old mum! Save $85 on the postage and then claim another $80 back on the VAT! Woot!!!

I'll upload the final spreadsheet to the "Parts" sub-forum. Feel free to include, reference or do whatever you want with it!!!!

Def

Postby Def » 15 Feb 2017, 13:55

Rod ends are standard sized so that they're interchangeable. No surprise that they're very similar.

DavidIt

Postby DavidIt » 09 Aug 2018, 05:52

hi all,
about shopping list i'm doing mine for the top-front suspensions.
anybody used COM10-12T from McGill or have opinions about it or better options?

http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/5-8-sph ... eflon-265/

i will use 33.7mm tube and this extra 6mm sounds attractive when will be time to weld the bearing.

thanks,
David

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 09 Aug 2018, 09:10

I used a COM12 and a 1/2" bolt, with some of their reducing spacers which allow the bearing to move further than if you used a COM10 joint and 1/2" bolt, or a COM12 with a 5/8" bolt.

DavidIt

Postby DavidIt » 09 Aug 2018, 10:36

thank you Chris!
i guess the spacer is this one
http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/3-4-to- ... -pair-454/

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 09 Aug 2018, 10:40

That’s the chap. It’s a quick and cheap way to get a high angle joint. :)

Return to “General Build Discussion”