Heat management: coolant tubes in the passenger compartment

Issues, solutions, helpful hints, shortcuts, tools, etc
bgkast
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Heat management: coolant tubes in the passenger compartment

Post by bgkast » 29 Jan 2015, 12:49

So far I am planning to run my coolant lines down the center of the car like the prototype. Has this arrangement caused any heat issues in the prototype, or has the air gap between the lines and the aluminum panel covering the console sufficient to reduce heat transfer? Would you recommend running any insulation around the lines or the inside of the panel?

I'm planning to run my electrical wiring and brake/clutch lines away from the coolant lines on each side of the car to avoid heat issues with them.

dpkilty

Re: Heat management: coolant tubes in the passenger compartment

Post by dpkilty » 29 Jan 2015, 13:01

Depending on the length of the panels I may be able to apply a ceramic coating (thermal barrier) used specifically for heat shields. I had planned on doing this with my build. I don't have any hard numbers to back up just how well the coating works though. I am also interested in how you approach this...

I thought about adding a couple sliding "doors" to allow heat into the cabin on the cooler days. I believe Kurt mentioned something along those lines in the book too.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 29 Jan 2015, 18:36

I did. Air flows down the center passageway, picking up heat as it goes. Sliding doors make for a free heater to some degree.

As for how hot the paneling gets, it isn't much. Air is a great insulator. I didn't worry about the wires passing down the same passageway as the coolant tubes and it hasn't proven to be a problem.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 15 Apr 2015, 07:04

Not the same, but quite similar, the Stratos copy I built had the main coolant lines running down a similarly narrow tunnel in the centre of the car. It was a bit wider in that the two pipes ran side by side (just) so maybe about 3". Also had a couple of 15mm water lines in copper to the heater matrix. I made the main pipes in stainless (32mm IIRC), so that helped a bit, then put a thin aluminium cap over the top and filled the voids with urethane foam. Loom and other odds went on top, then an overall thin aluminium cover, then some very thin soft trim over that, there was no real attempt at mitigating heat soak, more about trying to avoid noise. After a very long run, it felt vaguely warm to the touch - never hot. The main heat issue with that car was the tiny cabin and huge curved windscreen - solar gain was the main problem, that, and if the window was open, hot air for the radiator exit on top of the bonnet (hood) would roll round into the cabin.

I think I'd want to put an overall cover over that area again, then some sort of waterproof trim just to avoid the hot (or cold) metal in direct contact with skin.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 15 Apr 2015, 08:39

Keep in mind that because Midlana is an open top car, any heat that's emitted from the center tunnel simply rises up and out of the car. Plus, my shoes are never warm - hot foot wells is NOT a problem in Midlana. In fact, if anything, you may want to duct radiator air into the foot well on cool mornings.