Flat floor ideas

Issues, solutions, helpful hints, shortcuts, tools, etc
dpkilty
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Flat floor ideas

Post by dpkilty » 04 Aug 2014, 08:30

Seeing the recent issues that Kurt is having with his flat floor got me thinking about how to go about improving on the design.

Currently the flat floor is riveted onto the chassis. That will work fine until you need to do some maintenance or repair work. Its kind of a pain drilling out rivets every time you need to do something like that (which hopefully won't be very often).
Obviously normal fasteners won't work well for the simple fact of the heads getting "ground" off by hitting bumps or whatnot.

I stumbled across this link:
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/undertray.html

Maybe adapting something similar to that could be an option? That will take the brunt of the bumps and still allow you to mount the floor on with hardware to make access easy. It would really only need to stick a bit lower than the heads of whatever hardware you decide to use.

Any other ideas are welcome too...

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: Flat floor ideas

Post by Midlana1 » 04 Aug 2014, 09:59

Well you can always recess sections of the panel upward to move them away from damage.

Or just cut holes in the floor in the appropriate areas.

dpkilty

Re: Flat floor ideas

Post by dpkilty » 04 Aug 2014, 10:10

Cutting holes in the floor kind of defeats the purpose of having a flat bottom car IMO. That and you never know where you might need access in the event of a breakdown...

Yeah I know there needs to be access for oil drains and such, not arguing that fact at all.

Just thinking that by adding a skid plate whose sole purpose is to take the beating from bumps to save the rest of the undercarriage may make sense for some guys wanting to run a tad lower for the track.