"Door" bars

Issues, solutions, helpful hints, shortcuts, tools, etc
bgkast
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

"Door" bars

Post by bgkast » 20 Dec 2013, 14:00

I was reading through the SCCA roll cage requirements while trying to make a decision about cage options and this section on door bars struck me:

18.3.3. Side Protection - Open and Closed Automobiles
A. The minimum side protection shall consist of a side tube connecting
the front and rear hoops across both the door openings.
Additionally, there shall also be either a diagonal tube from the
front hoop to the rear hoop bisecting the door opening below the
horizontal side tube, or not less than two (2) horizontal side tubes.
Additional tubing

http://dsr.racer.net/docs/rules/2002/se ... 02_gcr.pdf

Reading this it seems that the 209 tubes would need to extend all the way to the rear hoop junction to meet this rule, but that would create difficulty with the firewall. Any thoughts? I know there are always a compromise between rules, safety and ease of construction.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: "Door" bars

Post by Midlana1 » 22 Dec 2013, 09:12

Yes, it's all a compromise. Depending how the firewall paneling is fabricated will help guide the decision on running the tube to the corner. I don't plan on running in SCCA events (who knows how it would be classed), but yes, for those who plan on it, those tubes, as well as the upper roll hoop tubes, will likely have to change.

bgkast

Re: "Door" bars

Post by bgkast » 30 Dec 2013, 12:44

Looking back through the old build diaries of the prototype it doesn't look like moving the tube junction to the rear corner will make it that much harder to make the firewall, the notch for the tube will just be in the middle of the panel edge insted of the corner.

Moving the tube junction will also reinforce the rear trailing link junction which can't hurt either! The cons are: slightly hevier, and it will be harder to fabricate the square tubes that the firewall mounts to (have to make and notch 4 tubes insted of two)

I think I'm going to go for it on my car.