Making a fuel cell.

Issues, solutions, helpful hints, shortcuts, tools, etc
ekim952522000
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Making a fuel cell.

Post by ekim952522000 » 22 Jun 2009, 13:32

So I am thinking about bending my own tank out of 20ga sheet metal and then sending it to ATL to have a bladder made for it.

Would a brake like this work for making the tank? I do not know much about sheet metal work.
Would this be handy to have around for other parts of the project?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=46508

I think the toughest part is going to be making one side bolt on so that I can get the bladder in.

Obviously I will have to get it powder coated.
Mike Uhlinger
Midlana Beta Builder
Northern California

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Making a fuel cell.

Post by Midlana1 » 22 Jun 2009, 14:22

Maybe... hard to tell. It says its capacity is 16ga which is good, but that doesn't mean you'd be able to bend a full-width sheet. Wonder what your local HF would think if you brought in a sheet to bend in it...

ekim952522000
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Post by ekim952522000 » 22 Jun 2009, 14:33

It says 40" so I am thinking I would have to make it first.

ATL offers two choices they can make the bladder for you per your drawings or you can ship them the box and they will make it to fit the box you provide. Considering the very high cost of the bladder I would like to ship them the box so I KNOW it will fit when I get it. I will probably buy the above brake I will let everyone know if it works out.
Mike Uhlinger
Midlana Beta Builder
Northern California

Garklon

Post by Garklon » 24 Nov 2009, 16:20

Make sure that your return line does not discharge close to or in the direction of your pickup. I have heard of people having fuel pump issues because the fuel returning to the tank can be aerated as it enters the tank again.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 24 Nov 2009, 17:30

A good point, and something I've been thinking about. As it is right now that's exactly how it is. I'm considering adding some sort of baffle so the returning fuel doesn't cause mischief. Of course I've already welded mine together... but I'm going to have to cut it open for other reasons anyway.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 25 Oct 2010, 07:01

Just an aside about fuel usage:

My brother had a trackday event this last weekend at Willow Springs, a high-desert 2.5 mile track. He's driving a supercharged Stalker making somewhere around 240 hp and he noted that he used about five gallons of gas in each 25-minute session. Seeing as how they had a two-day event, and eight sessions, that's 40-gallons+ of fuel for the weekend! So when sizing your tank, consider what the car's for, and how many extra fuel tanks (or gas station runs) you'll need.

Gforcefd

Re: What's the "right engine" for Midlana?

Post by Gforcefd » 24 Jan 2011, 05:14

Were you able to weight the front half versus the back half? Just curious what we could do to bring the design closer to 50/50? Perhaps move the fuel tank to the front of the car where the storage space is now?

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 24 Jan 2011, 06:24

That would work but is too scary for me. Because the nose of the car is so low, there's a chance that in an accident, the nose will dive under the car ahead, causing that car to ride up on the frame rails and target the tank. Perhaps worse, the storage area is above the top chassis rails, so in an accident, the fuel tank is not protected and could take a hit, then leaking directly into the passenger compartment.

I do not recommend placing the fuel tank forward of the passenger compartment.

As for how much weight is on the front axle now, it's shown on the scale in the diary, 472 lbs, http://www.midlana.com/Diaries/Current/ ... eight2.JPG

Gforcefd

Post by Gforcefd » 24 Jan 2011, 08:34

Yeah just spit balling ideas out there. I know the tank when full is quite heavy.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 24 Jan 2011, 09:38

True, and because it's stainless it's no lightweight even when empty, but that's the consequence of not using a true fuel-cell. Now, if a real fuel cell is part of the budget (~$2200), then a custom triangular one can be made to fit into the triangular area immediately ahead of the footwell. The coolant lines would have to then go around that area, and inboard suspension would not be possible, but it would move the CG forward a decent amount.