Laying out A arms

Issues, solutions, helpful hints, shortcuts, tools, etc
steve
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Laying out A arms

Postby steve » 24 Dec 2014, 14:19

Just read right through this thread again.

So, looking at the nice drawings there does the centre of the OEM Mazda bottom joint need to be down the middle of the threaded part pointing up as if its assembled to the upright? What I mean is does this make a projection down to the correct point on a point to point drawing?

What I was wondering was how to get the ball joint in the correct position if I draw it out on a piece of ply, drill the 3 holes, bolt to inner rose joints to the table, build the box for the ball joint then where to place it to correctly centre the peice...

That make any sense?

Merry Christmas,
Steve

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 29 Dec 2014, 11:53

The lower ball joint is set at an angle to the lower A arm when looking at it from the front of the car. The angle is towards the center of the car to allow the ball joint to be centered while giving the proper kingpin inclination. This angle is somewhat built into the ball joints. When I was building my arms I made the ball joint box, installed the ball joint and when I placed it on the jig I just projected this angle down to the outer "point" on the jig for the ball joint location. You could also just center the circle of the ball joint over the point, In reality it doesn't matter much, the difference is only around 1/16" or so and you can adjust the inner heim joints to account for it.

steve

Postby steve » 09 Jan 2015, 11:28

Thanks, building the box was what I'm planning, just wondering where to position the ball joint centre before welding the arms in.

Got it now. Just need an upright to get the threaded bit pointing in the right direction :D

Steve

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 09 Jan 2015, 12:56

If you center the ball in it's travel, and place the ball joint in it's box with the inboard edge vertical it should give you a very good idea of the angle without needing the upright on hand.

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 19 Mar 2015, 13:22

For the upper rear arms I assume the outer point (labeled as outer balljoint in figure 24.30) is the center of the U shaped bracket detailed in Figure 24.33?

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 19 Mar 2015, 19:03

Correct.

DavidIt

Postby DavidIt » 30 Sep 2018, 00:32

freakynami wrote:And the result...
AArms04_5.png

hi, i would like to draw my arms too because i have different tube size and plate thickness.
i cannot find the information about where is located the balljoint's centerpoint relatively to the 'box'.
looking at figure 24.16 (2th edition, center-to-center dimensions) can be useful know the distance between the back of the "tab B) (side welded on tubes) and the balljoint centerpoint.

thanks,
David

Return to “General Build Discussion”