Ballpark steel costs?

Issues, solutions, helpful hints, shortcuts, tools, etc
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Ballpark steel costs?

Post by Midlana1 » 09 Aug 2017, 10:35

The Google shows three: Steel Supply Co, Metal Supermarkets Oklahoma, and Albright Steel and Wire. Have you tried them yet?

ShadowCat38

Post by ShadowCat38 » 14 Aug 2017, 04:16

Yes, and all of them seem offended at the thought of doing business with anyone at the hobbyist level. Metal Supermarkets surprised me by that, because I thought that was their business model. Maybe I just caught someone there on a bad day.

Anyway, I have been asking around with other local car builders, especially dirt track racers, and I've found a new source that Google doesn't seem to acknowledge as a metal retailer. I've been told that their prices are better than competitive, so I might be back in business soon.

JeffD

Post by JeffD » 02 Sep 2019, 22:19

On this topic - Maybe I need to look harder, and I'm aware there's a lot of "Cut to fit" and customisation involved in the whole process, but I've not seen in the book, or on the forums, a steel list as such. I wasn't really expecting a cut list, but a "buy this much of what different materials" for a "Book Chassis" would really be helpful - especially for those of us who have to convert to Metric as well. Has anyone who has started (or completed) their chassis worked this out?

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Post by freakynami » 03 Sep 2019, 01:17

I pretty much followed the list on P355. With adjustments for the changes I knew I was making...

For all of the round, I used imperial sizes, and sourced my round tube from Airport Metals.
For the square, I changed to 40x40, 25x25 etc. and went with Orrcon.

JeffD

Post by JeffD » 03 Sep 2019, 14:49

Obviously I had a boy look... Should have had my missus look for me. :P

Thanks Freakynami. - I was worried for a moment, but it's actually P357 in my book for some reason.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Post by freakynami » 04 Sep 2019, 02:31

No problem! Ah, maybe you've got the spiral bound version? or maybe Kurt uploaded a revised version with some small errata corrections? Doesn't matter, found it in the end :)

JeffD

Post by JeffD » 04 Sep 2019, 20:38

Nah, I didn't have the option of spiral bound when I ordered mine, but I do have the Second edition.