Windshield sources

Drivetrains, ECUs, brakes, lights, radiator, instruments, etc
ekim952522000
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Windshield sources

Postby ekim952522000 » 24 Feb 2009, 23:37

Here is a place that says that make custom glass I wonder how expensive it is?
http://www.speedwayglass.com/services.html
Mike Uhlinger
Midlana Beta Builder
Northern California

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Windshield sources

Postby Midlana1 » 25 Feb 2009, 06:10

Just yesterday I was looking into this. Some kit cars (most?) don't use laminated glass, but safety glass or tempered glass because it's easier to find and cheaper - and a very bad idea. If you're driving along and a truck ahead kicks up a 1/4" rock, the small impact will cause the entire windshield to explode into airborne sharp-edged cubes that the wind will blow into your face. Safety glass is what side windows are made of, but never windscreens.

So, yeah, laminated glass is a really good idea and I'm thinking that hot-rod shops should be able to supply a flat sheet. They already deal with flat laminated glass since many 30's cars used it. The only thing I wonder about is whether we might need a thin support down the center of the windscreen to handle wind-loading.

Here's a promising place, http://www.sandersreproglass.com/glass.php, though there must be dozens of shops that can do the same. Note what they say at the bottom, "Windshields are only supplied in laminated glass for safety reasons and US DOT requirements."

Regarding running at trackday events. I was considering overlaying the windscreen with a thin Lexan sheet to protect the glass. Just a thought. I'll contact the above shop and see what it'll cost. I bet it won't be much since it's flat - and that was the whole idea, staying away from curved glass for cost reasons.

sachilles

Postby sachilles » 28 Feb 2009, 09:14

What size do you intend it to be?
Something worth considering might be to take a scrap windshield from something like a jeep wrangler(cj, yj or tj), seeing if it will work as is...if not, cut it down. They are completely flat and fairly small. I would think they are in the same ball park size wise.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 28 Feb 2009, 10:42

I was told that it's a bad idea to have a flat windscreen. I understand why; loading a flat sheet (of any material) makes it very easy to bend. But, put even a slight crown in it toward the direction of load and it's immensely stronger. However, I didn't want to dictate a particular windscreen then hear that builders can't find it, so I went with a flat design, knowing that auto glass shops can alway make one from flat laminated glass.

Since I didn't plan from the start to use a curved windscreen, finding a slightly curved one (VW Karmin Ghia was suggested) that fits seems unlikely. They can be cut down but that's another expense. Throughout the design I've assumed that the vast majority of builders are building the car because they can't afford to have others do it for them. For many, even the cost of the book is significant, so I'm trying to minimize cost wherever I can, and that means a flat windscreen. Of course maybe it's the other way round, that it's actually cheaper to have an OEM windscreen cut instead of starting with flat laminated glass... I don't know.

That said, the windscreen is rougly 33 x 13", and out of that, about 1" is supported (1/2" each side", so in essence, the windscreen only has 12" of unsupported glass, which isn't much. Also, a very thin support could run down the middle of the windscreen and support it in the center, but might not look very good.

sachilles

Postby sachilles » 28 Feb 2009, 12:31

Jeep one won't work unless cut, as it is closer to 50 inches.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 28 Feb 2009, 13:52

Honestly, the design's too far along to change anything significantly. If we can find an OEM windscreen that's close, maybe, but I'll bet whatever's found will need to be ground. While I don't know what that costs, taking a new OEM windscreen and cutting it down seems like it'll be the same if not more expensive than just starting with flat laminated glass. 12" unsupported 1/4" glass is plenty strong I feel, although if it gets hit with a rock I can see how having it crowned would help a lot... it's always something.

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 24 Mar 2014, 15:09

Here is a source I just came across. No affiliation or experience.
http://www.sandersreproglass.com

Edit: Ha! Looks like they are local. I will check them out when I am a bit closer to needing a windshield.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 24 Mar 2014, 15:41

Look at the second post above :P

That's were I got mine from.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 17 Nov 2015, 07:58

For UK based builders...I contacted Pilkingtons who said no problem, send a plywood template. Guide price was around £120 for laminated with appropriate E mark for IVA.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 17 Nov 2015, 09:19

As an update, all Sanders needs is an accurate drawing, which can be emailed. I ordered two windscreens for Midlana and delivered it was around $180, not bad. It reminds me that I need to order another - driving ontrack or behind cars at high speed quickly pits the windscreen.

Return to “Needed parts and where to get them”